Moving from Indiana to Texas taught me a great deal about health. To be honest, the very FIRST thing I noticed was the diet was so different than my Midwest home. First of all, the food in Texas has FLAVOR. Second, I learned everyone, and I mean everyone, was on keto diet. I didn't even know what the keto diet was. Eat only Fats? No Rice? 'Scuse me, rice, couscous, lattes, granola bars and fruit smoothies got me through college.
So I tried it. And I researched it, and this is what I found…
Emulsifiers and sugar are the death of any health program.
- Emulsifiers are fillers that make your food thicker, and taste better. They make that protein shake thick and icecream-y. They make your dressings low fat, while maintaining thickness. They help with extending shelf life of products. They make you fat because they are just straight chemicals most of the time. Food industries are not worrying about your health, they are worried about their income, and if food spoils on the shelf before you get it in your house to sit there longer, they lose money. Avoid any ingredients that you cannot pronounce.
- Sugar is also there to make it taste better, and to also replace the 'fats' in your 'healthy' foods. Even if you don't want sugar in your food, food providers and companies try to trick you into buying their product. Obviously look at the ingredients and avoid any foods that have the letters "-ose" at the ingredients list. Sugar has a Glycemic index of 100, Cane sugar has a glycemic index of 60, and Stevia has a glycemic index of 0. Keep this in mind.
They feed cows with Grains: Corn and Soy to FATTEN them
If you think you're going to lose weight by eating corn and soy among other grains…think again. Use logic. Cows are bred to be eaten, and the move volume they have, the more food the meat industry has per cow, the more $$$$ the food industry makes.
The best health insurance is whole organic foods.
So if we cant have grains, emulsifiers or sugar, whats left? Whole foods do not have emulsifiers and added sugars. Some whole foods are grains but that is another subject. In terms of glycemic index, whole foods with good fats and proteins have a glycemic index of ZERO (or atleast very low comparatively). Why is it a good idea to eat low glycemic foods? If you don't, you could get a number of diseases including Type II diabetes among other problems (https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317431.php).
Glycemic index and Insulin are the greatest tells of weight loss and feel good properties.
Just read this article: Why the first law of thermodynamics is utterly irrelevant (https://www.dietdoctor.com/first-law-thermodynamics-utterly-irrelevant). I cannot explain it better than this article.
Keto SOLVED my IBS.
Ok, rather than telling you where my journey began, I'll tell you where it ended. Keto COMPLETELY HEALED my IBS. I don't want to go into detail, but remember that Glycemic index thing? PLEASE READ THIS ARTICLE IF NOTHING ELSE (https://nobunplease.com/ketogenic-diet-treatment-for-ibs/)
Keto SOLVED my ANXIETY.
IBS is anxiety for all I know. I have been on the floor in a ball, shaking. I have been to the hospital 3 times. All I did during that time frame was eat Clif bars, green Naked Shakes, Muffins and Lattes. That's it. I thought I was getting all the nutrients I needed through a green shake and a granola bar. Again, insulin through the roof. When I started following keto diet (plus some sweet potato fries which are also have a low glycemic number), my anxiety attacks went to zero. My shaking stopped entirely. Sometimes when I do slip up and enjoy a nice sugary cookie, my bad anxiety thoughts come back.
Sugar is the cause of anxiety.
Recently, there has been a LOT of articles about how your brain and your gut are intertwined. I have added two Ted Talks addressing this. To summarize, Gut bacteria is INCREDIBLY important and when you disrupt it by adding chemicals/emulsifiers made in labs to kill bacteria to extend shelf life of products, your causes your brain some trouble. The link is there, and its between what you put in your stomach and what you are thinking in your head. A healthy gut is a healthy brain. What you put in and on your body is still creating you, just like you couldn't give a child nicotine or caffeine as a child, you don't want toxins going into your body as its processing information continuously. Like I said above, I am at the point in my health journey when I can recognize the effects the sugar of a cookie has on my brain. Just watch these… (https://www.ted.com/talks/giulia_enders_the_surprisingly_charming_science_of_our_gut?language=en) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awtmTJW9ic8)
Ayurveda echoes eliminating sugar and promoting organic foods.
Ok so this topic goes a bit further. Once you rid your body of toxins, you are able to feel the effects of food. Ayurveda is eastern medicine. When I was in my anxiety spell, they told me to take Zoloft, which made me feel like a complete zombie. It made me not care about anything, I was not myself, there are so many side effects as well as A RED FLAG WARNING FOR SUICIDE. I wasn't suicidal but I could feel the effects of why someone would go to that length under the wrath of that drug especially if they took it for depression instead of anxiety, while eating sugar and emulsifiers. So instead, I cut it out cold turkey (not recommended) and focused on me, until I found keto. And then I found Ayurveda, because, honestly, Texas and yoga. And then I was completely healed. Ayurveda can help heal anxiety. The following is a list of foods that the Indians (before the industrial era) were able to find out the effects of these foods on the body. Anything look familiar? Look at the effects of some of the plants. Ill write an article on this separately because it's a whole other topic. So keep an eye out. (http://www.instituteofayurveda.org/plants/plants_list.php?s=English_name)
To be honest, when I went back to talk to my friends in Indiana, I was shocked that they didn't know about emulsifiers and how sugar rocks your brain (in a bad way). In FACT, I was watching girls promoting this protein shake from Arbonne on Instagram. I was on my way to a vegan protein shake with whole ingredients. And to see the FOURTH ingredient is "Cane Sugar" shook me to the core. Uhm excuse me, you are promoting a cookie.
ANYWAYS, go follow me on Instagram @KylieMcguylie to view my highlight story to see what I was really dealing with. Follow me on Odyssey for more renovation tips and stories, as well as my insight into electrical engineering, Aryuveda, health, keto, Bichons, Hot Yoga, and more!
- XXXTENTACION Mental Health Advocate ›
- Why We Should Talk About Mental Illness ›
- The Positive Effects Of Technology On Mental Health ›
- Cole LaBrant's tweets about mental illness ›
- From The Girl Who Sacrificed Her Mental Health For A 4.0 ›
- 13 Mental Health Apps That Could Change Your Life ›
- Why I Will Never Apologize For Being A Health Nut ›
- Why Your Mental Health Matters ›
- 5 Types Of Liquor With Surprising Health Benefits ›
- Quitting My Retail Job Was The Best Thing For My Health ›
- "A Star Is Born" Represents Mental Health and Addiction Well ›
- How going to the gym helps with my mental health ›
- Supernatural Stars Blow Mental Health Stigma Out Of The Water ›
- Five Ways Impulsively Getting A Dog Saved My Mental Health ›
- Meta-Anxiety: What It's Like Being Anxious About Being Anxious ›
- 'Phone Anxiety' Is A Real Thing, And Here Are The Signs ›
- I Stayed Motivated With Weight Loss And You Can, Too ›
- What I Need To Remember On My Weight Loss Journey ›
- Why Your Goal Shouldn't Be “To Lose Weight” ›
- Why "Stranger Things" Casting Nancy Wheeler May Be Risky ›
- Weight Loss and Exercise ›
- Tips For Starting A Weight Loss Journey ›
- What It's Like Living With Anxiety; A Rant ›
- 15 Things My Anxiety Has Taught Me ›
- The Dangers Of High-Functioning Depression And Anxiety ›
- Dating Someone With Anxiety ›
- To The College Kids With Anxiety During Finals Week ›
- Don't Let Your Anxiety Disorder Define You ›
- What It Means When People Say, 'I Have Anxiety' ›
- Ariana Grande's Song 'Breathin' Is So Important For Anyone With ... ›
- The Difference Between Good Anxiety And Bad Anxiety ›
- A 10-Step Guide To Coach Someone Through An Anxiety Attack ›
- The Keto Diet, Explained ›
- My Experience with the Keto Diet ›
- The Keto Diet Gets Rid Of Brain Fog AND Body Fat ›
- A Keto Diet Is Hard But So Worth It ›
- How To Keto: Advice From A Confused Beginner ›
- What I Learned After 30 Days On The Keto Diet ›
- An Easy Beginner's Guide To The Keto Diet ›
- Even Though The KETO Diet Isn't Working For You, That Doesn't ... ›
- My opinion on the Keto diet ›
- The Future Is Keto ›
- None ›
- Mental Health: MedlinePlus ›
- Mental health: Definition, common disorders, and early signs ›
- Mental Health Support - Mental Health Recovery and Advocacy ›
- What Is Mental Health? | MentalHealth.gov ›
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) | Turning Discovery Into Health ›
- Health - The New York Times ›
- HEALTH - Home | Facebook ›
- Health News - CNN ›
- Health | Psychology Today ›
- Women's Health & Wellness Advice | SELF ›
- HealthCare.gov: Get 2019 health coverage. Health Insurance ... ›
- Health - Wikipedia ›
- HEALTH ›
- Health.com: Fitness, Nutrition, Tools, News, Health Magazine | Health ›
- Anxiety - Wikipedia ›
- Anxiety: MedlinePlus ›
- Anxiety Disorders and Anxiety Attacks - HelpGuide.org ›
- 12 Anxiety Symptoms You Need to Know - Health ›
- Anxiety: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, and More ›
- Anxiety: Overview, symptoms, causes, and treatments ›
- Understand the Facts | Anxiety and Depression Association of ... ›
- Anxiety and Panic Disorders Center: Panic Attacks, Phobias, and ... ›
- Anxiety disorders - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic ›
- NIMH » Anxiety Disorders ›
- Low Carb & Keto Diet Plan: How To Start a Low Carb Diet ›
- Vicki Gunvalson's daughter's Keto transformation | 1 | Page Six ›
- What Is The Keto Diet? A Beginners Guide To Keto Foods, Side Effects ›
- Best Keto Diet Recipes - Easy Ketogenic Friendly Foods ›
- Husband and Wife Go on Keto Diet—She Stuck to It and Lost 82 ... ›
- Keto Diet: Does It Really Work? | US News Best Diets ›
- Keto Diet: What is a Ketogenic Diet? ›
- A Ketogenic Diet for Beginners - The Ultimate Keto Guide - Diet Doctor ›
- Should you try the keto diet? - Harvard Health ›
- The Ketogenic Diet: A Detailed Beginner's Guide to Keto ›
- Weight Loss | Health ›
- Weight loss - Wikipedia ›
- A Molecular Hurdle Might Make Weight Loss Even More Difficult ... ›
- How to Lose Weight Fast: 3 Simple Steps, Based on Science ›
- Best Weight-Loss Diets for 2019 | U.S. News Best Diets ›
- Weight Loss & Diet Plans - Find healthy diet plans and helpful ... ›