Weight Loss and Exercise

Weight Loss Miracle Ads May Seem Great, But There Is No Magic Pill Or Potion For Healthy Weight Loss

So how does an overweight person take the right steps to change the cycle?

252
Me Before / Barbara Myers

Have you seen the Facebook and Instagram ads for weight loss pills, teas, and smoothies? One can only imagine the loss of income from those political ads that were bouncing all over these sites had to be recouped in some other way. Plus, we are heading into the final months of the year and we all know that once Halloween has passed New Year Resolutions are not far behind.

So how does an overweight person take the right steps to change the cycle? Mine was to decide what was more important the food I ate or the body I was living in. Now, I am a firm believer that there is no such thing as a cookie-cutter diet. I also know from years of experience that a healthy diet along with an active lifestyle is the correct way to live. I was once told by my primary care physician, "If it tastes good, it is bad for you." That does not have to be the case, but it was a depressing statement for me at the time and it gave me a sense of being defeated before I even began.

My point is: There is no magical pill or potion to healthy weight loss. I have battled weight issues for most of my life. The last 20 plus years, I joined Weight Watchers, paid for Atkins, followed the South Beach Diet, and even did four months on Nutri System. I am not saying that these programs are bad or will not work, but they did not work for me. Sure, there was an initial weight loss with all of them, problem was, its expensive, time consuming, and at best, these programs work for short-term weight loss. Apart from Weight Watchers, which for successful people it becomes a lifestyle and not a diet.

In addition, one afternoon playing with my granddaughter, I was unable to get up from the floor, I knew I had to make some life changes. I had to teach myself to put down the bread, stop eating the potatoes, stop buying sweets to supplement my loneliness or boredom, and enjoy salads and proteins. I took a phrase I learned from Weight Watchers and said it whenever I wanted to reach for that freshly baked bread at the grocery store: "I want to eat to live, not live to eat."

The next morning, I took my first walk around my apartment complex. I can't say I walked for very long, but every day I added a little more distance. I pulled out my old Fitbit, charged it and began to record my progress. The more I moved the better I felt. What I took from the programs that failed me or I failed to complete, is what works for my body type now. I found that carbs were my biggest enemy.

I emptied out my cupboards of all the empty calorie foods, and when I shopped at the grocery store, I stayed in the parameter aisle, only entering a specific aisle for items like coffee, and paper products. Having willpower helps. Also having a plan, sticking to it, and reminding myself daily that it took years for me to get to this point, I will take years and the rest of my life to reverse and be the healthy woman I long to be.

Three months into this process I moved to a new apartment with stairs. I climb a flight of stairs every morning from the gym and every afternoon after work. The apartment complex is equipt with the latest exercise equipment and free weights. I exercise every day without complaint or frustration - it gives me purpose and the endorphins are an added bonus.

Me Now Barbara Myers

It is not an easy process. Last year I was 100 pounds heavier than I am today. I was on high cholesterol medication and a statin for my heart. I could not walk up a flight of steps without breaking into a sweat and gasping for air.

Now I am up every day at 4:50 am and at the gym by 5:00 am. I record an average of 12,000 steps daily and began working with a personal trainer. I know this is not the end of the road for me. But I'm enjoying my new life as a healthy, happy, positive woman.