How going to the gym helps with my mental health

Sorry, But Your 'Mental Health' Also Includes Going To The Gym, Working Out, And Being Active

During my highs, and even my lows, one thing that helps my mental health is getting in gains at the gym.

462103

Editor's note: The views expressed in this article are not intended to replace professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.

Going to the gym is something universally all Americans lack at doing.

It is not a part of the typical routine for us. Usually, many people are too tired or too lazy to go. I feel that unwillingness to go until in 2018 I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression. It is something that no one really understands unless you have it as my parents call it "crazy" people.

In fact, there is nothing even crazy about it. It is simply your brain being unable to produce as many endorphins as anyone else.

Now, these two things, the gym and mental health, may seem on total opposite spectrums, but they actually coincide. You see when you exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, not only does it approve your heart, lungs and reduce blood pressure, it also helps produce endorphins post-workout.

These endorphins, personally, help me through the day.

There is no better feeling than after a workout. Maybe it's the science involved, but also the self-esteem you get.

There is such a powerful feeling leaving the gym knowing you pushed your hardest even when you didn't want to. On that day, you wanted to stay in bed but you (a kickass individual) did not let your depression win. You did not stay in bed no matter how comfy it is or how tempting Netflix is. After a few weeks of convincing yourself to not let your depression win, you realize the gym isn't that bad.

In fact, it's awesome.

SEE ALSO: Just Because YOU Need To Work Out For Your Depression Doesn't Mean Everyone Else Does, Too

There is no other place where you and an entire room of people have the same goal in mind, self-improvement. The self-improvement becomes a drug. Each time I go to the gym, I try to leave there a stronger woman I was before mentally and physically. Moving up a weight? The best feeling. It is proof you are trying. No matter how much you want to not go, still go.

A killer workout after you were trying to talk yourself out of before is so rewarding.

You can't control almost anything in life, except if you choose to make yourself better, stronger, and faster.

Not to mention if there's a zombie apocalypse you'll be one step ahead of the couch potato you used to be.