7 Things I Miss About Germany

7 Things I Miss About Germany

It's a country nestled in the center of Europe with a lot to offer...

6138
travel to germany
Instagram

In 2014, I took a solo trip to Deutschland. I rented a car and drove from place to place, getting a real feel for the country and its people. It was an incredible journey. Looking back nearly a decade later, here's what I miss about it.

1. The Autobahn

"Life Is A Highway"from Cars

Driving on the Autobahn, the German highway which famously has no speed limit, was exhilarating. It's like a thrill ride at an amusement park, except you're at the wheel and in control. As I topped 100 MPH and beyond, I was in awe to watch other cars still zipping by me.

2. The Outdoor Cafés

Outdoor cafe in Europe - Wikimedia Commons

commons.wikimedia.org

So common in Europe, why don't we do this in the United States? It's a sublime setup for enjoying a good cup of coffee or an excellent meal.

3. The Friendly People

1. Beer!

While I'm not one to drink, just not my thing, I experienced plenty of hospitality from the Germans. They were so friendly everywhere I went, from the small towns to the cities.

4. The Castles

Burg-Eltz - Wikimedia Commons

commons.wikimedia.org

Visiting Burg Eltz in particular was fantastic. I hiked to the castle in the local forests, climbed hills to get the full experience, and got a tour on the inside.

5. The History

File:Trier - Dom, Kreuzgang (2017-05-30 Sp).JPG - Wikimedia Commonscommons.wikimedia.org

Visiting Dom St. Peter in Trier, the oldest church in Germany, was amazing. Coming from the U.S., which was only founded in 1776, seeing sights that went back centuries was inspiring.

6. The Food

sausage, bratwurst

pxhere.com

Just when you thought sausage and potatoes could only be prepared one or two ways, I came across a half dozen versions or more, and they were tasty every time.

7. The Proximity To France

France

Given my trip centered around southwest Germany, I was extremely close to the French border, so I got to experience France as well. French culture has its own unique attributes that made the excursion really enjoyable.

Would I go again if I had the opportunity? You bet. And I'd highly recommend Germany (and France) to anyone looking for that next big trip.