Everyone's inspired by something or someone. Your inspiration may fall under a list of heroic leaders or be among today's celebrity philanthropists, while mine are a collection of television shows from HBO and The CW.

Gossip Girl (2007-2012)

Tumblr

Oh Gossip Girl, what have I not already said about you? As many people know, I'm a big supporter of this show. This show made me fall head-over-heels in love with the idea of living in New York City. I'd been visiting the city my entire life, but had never dug too deep beneath the surface. As soon as I saw Gossip Girl, I saw the city in a whole new light. I was inspired to visit incredible restaurants, see new venues, and do things I never would have imagined.

Gossip Girl also taught me a lot about fashion. I wasn't necessarily inspired to wear a headband everyday, as I'm sure Blair would advise, but I learned a vast amount about the classic aspects of the fashion world. Thankfully, the classics rarely go out of style. Prior to watching, I thought of myself as a brand genius, which I was so embarrassingly wrong about. Ever heard of Elie Saab? Manolo Blahnik? I would surely have no clue about either without the help of Serena, Blair, Lily, and maybe even Little J.

As for media, you heard it here first, folks; Dan Humphrey inspired me. Dan's experience as an aspiring writer taught me that people I admire may not always turn out as expected and they certainly won't always like what I have to say. This is so important because while criticism is a vital part of the process, you have to be confident in your creative ability while adapting when necessary.

Sex and the City (1998-2004)

One of my earliest memories includes sitting on the couch observing my sister, who's 11 years older, endlessly watch some show that was always going on about fashion and sex. I was in kindergarten. Needless to say, this show's been a part of my life since the word "sex" was an enigma to me. Fast forward to the now full-fledged, fan that I am, I'm thankful that this series exposed me to so much more than just the birds and the bees. Carrie Bradshaw planted a seed of writing in me, and it's been growing ever since.

Besides teaching me the art of writing, Carrie's sense of style and fashion interests definitely played a role in the shopping-obsessed, brand-loving creature that I am today. She's an expert in retail therapy, what's not to love?

The Carrie Diaries (2013-2014)

Gfycat

Oh young Carrie Bradshaw, how I love you so. She's innocent, principled, and determined. In this Sex and the City prequel, I watched as this young girl dove head first into writing in New York City, and it gave me hope. I know her story isn't reality by any means, but if you can dream it, you can do it. What I mean by this is, I know that if I work hard enough, I can do it too. Not to mention, her sometimes boyfriend, Sebastian Kydd, is gorgeous.

Girls (2012-2017)

I actually hopped on the Girls train this summer and finished it just recently. Girls is so different from a lot of these other shows, because it's not all glitz and glamour. Well, there's not really any glamour at all. But, I love this show because it's real and it's honest. The main character isn't a stick-figure, model lookalike. Hannah is real and she is unapologetic. She is a passionate writer, hopeful to make a splash in her field, at least for most of the show. Her ability to charm others just by being herself was something that really moved me throughout the series. She might not be a fashion queen like Carrie, but she gets by. She sure maintains to have her share of good times too.