11 Relatable Lessons From Sex And The City

11 Lessons Carrie, Miranda, Samantha, And Charlotte Taught Us That Are Still Relevant Today

Welcome to the age of un-innocence.

283

In the 20 years since Sex and the City first premiered, nearly every aspect of life as we know it has changed. However, the badass thirty-something women whom the show centered around went through a lot of the same trials and tribulations as young women today - from awkward hookups to computer crashes. Below are 11 relatable lessons that I learned from binge-watching "Sex and the City" in 2019.

*SPOILERS FROM ALL 6 SEASONS BELOW*

1. Being a woman with a successful career and a social life, is possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx2ceKSvXGo

Living in any city is hella expensive, but these four women all had successful careers that allowed them to live comfortably in Manhattan and they kept up an active social life. They proved time and time again that a badass hardworking lady can, and will, have it all.

2. If you and your partner want different things, it’ll never work.

How many times did Carrie and Mr. Big break up and get back together? Their recurring issue was that Carrie was ready to commit, and Big wasn't. Take some advice from Carrie's biggest heartbreak and eventual greatest love, and make sure you and your partner are on the same page.

3. The words "single" and "sad" should not be synonymous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ8cxB5sXTE

Yes, we've all gone through breakups. We've all been scorned. And it's okay to be sad about it for as long as you need. But being single is a great time to focus on personal growth and enjoy alone time until you settle down (if that's what you want, of course).

Society puts too much pressure on young women to find the love of their life as quickly as possible, so much so that many feel bad about themselves when they aren't in a relationship. Let's push past that pressure and not forge our self-worth from our relationship status.

4.  Everyone has annoying habits - it’s part of being human.

Whether it's loud chewing, snoring, or something bigger, it's important to draw the line between being too picky and not putting yourself through unnecessary torture. Weigh your pros and cons, ladies! Preferably before you move in with them, as Carrie learned quickly in season 4 after moving in with Aiden.

5. STI/Ds are no joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZPKfqgXb4A

One bad hookup in the Hamptons and suddenly, you have crabs. Be careful and get tested regularly, my friends.

6.  Eventually, you will move on from your exes - and they will move on from you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kue01RCVrh4

It's hard to see an ex move on and fall in love with someone else, especially if you're not yet ready to do the same. But it's part of life and even though sometimes it seems like you'll never get over your ex, especially at first, time will bring you peace.

7. Take your love life at your own pace without comparing yourself to others.

There are multiple jokes throughout the series about the rift between married women and single women. Although there's truth in these jokes one should never be ashamed of staying single while your friends all get married, or vice versa. As Charlotte's failed first marriage taught us, go with your gut and do what makes you happy.

8. Always back up important files on your computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWSZJXhOvBw

After Carrie's tragic 2002 computer crash taught us, always take the time to back up your electronic work. Carrie's tears over almost losing the entirety of her career can be likened to us losing a 10-page essay for our least favorite class.

9.  Never have a new cosmetic procedure done right before a big event.

The day before Carrie's big book release party, Samantha decides to try a chemical facial peel. Unfortunately, her cosmetic surgeon didn't mention that her face would look like raw meat afterward. She was the talk of the party - and not in a good way.

So, do yourself a favor and save that new skin remedy or cosmetic procedure you've always wanted to try for after any important public appearances.

10. Don’t expect the love of your life to just come out of nowhere...but sometimes it does.

When Charlotte first slept with and started developing feelings for her less-than-conventionally-attractive divorce lawyer, we all assumed that trouble would ensue. He ended up being the true love of her life, and from this we can learn that sometimes love comes around when we least expect it.

11.  No matter what happens, you can get through anything with a solid group of best friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdWldW_sj9o

All four characters experience rough patches throughout the series including heartache, job loss, pregnancy, and even cancer. But they never had to suffer alone, because they always had each other.

"The most important thing in life is your family. There are days you love them, and others you don't. But, in the end, they're the people you always come home to. Sometimes it's the family you're born into, and sometimes it's the one you make for yourself." - Carrie Bradshaw