5 Important Life Lessons We Can All Learn From 'Sex And The City'

Because it's more than sex and martinis.

61
Vogue

Well if you're anything like me, you live and breath for "Sex And The City." Ever since I was eight years old my mom would kick me out of the room so she could watch the raunchy and comical Carrie Bradshaw spew romantic advice to all single women. Now I have been hooked for over five years, and have seen every season and replay them shamelessly to my boyfriend who thinks that the whole show is comical. On the contrary...it's an ode to single women. These four women have been through it all from getting broken up via Post-It note to having casual sex with their divorce lawyer. These woman have been through it all. After all, they do live in Manhattan.

This show makes you proud to be a woman. This show also reveals the ugly truth of sexism and controversial issues such as how men fear strong women.

Every time I watch this show, I learn a new lesson about relationships and how we can all learn from the successes and mistakes of Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda. However, these are the top five life lessons that I have learned from watching SATC.

1. Budget Your Money

Ladies, don't be like Carrie Bradshaw and spend $40,000 on Manolo Blahnikshoes and not have enough to put a down payment on your apartment. Yes her shoes are gorgeous and her outfits are always on point. However, Carrie is infamous for spending hundreds of dollars on shoes after every paycheck and maxing out her credit card. Meanwhile her only source if income is her sex column. Be smart. Save your money.

2. Everyone Makes Mistakes

Remember when Carrie cheated on Aidan with Mr. Big? And his wife (Natasha) caught them. Carrie is infamous for disregarding other people feelings sometimes and goes after what she wants. Not to mention at this point Carrie and Mr. Big have been going back and forth for years already. Aidan was kind, cute and loved his dog. Um, Carrie you messed up...

The point is everyone makes mistakes, even if they're obvious. You need to realize that you're only human.

3. It's OK To Love Yourself

Every episode is dedicated to the single ladies and how they are each others soulmates. These girls are always there for each other and have been through it all together. Samantha breaks up with her famous boyfriend Smith Jerrod because she wants to focus on her career and her friends. And guess what ladies and gentlemen...that's okay! More women place a relationship so high on their priority list that they forget to have a social life.

4. Be A Strong Woman

One of my favorite things about SATC is how Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda are unapologetic of who they are. They go get for what they want whether its a man or a job. They will call you out on your bullshit. Frankly, more women should be like this. Often we are called a "bitch" or "bossy," but if a man did the exact same things in life to get ahead he would be a "ambitious." Women have faced this sexist point of view for years and it still is an issue today. Go for what you want in life, don't pay attention to what other people think.

5. It's Perfectly OK To Be Single

I remember when I thought that if I didn't get a boyfriend that something was wrong with me, that no one didn't want me. One of the things I love about this show is that it's an ode to single women. Being single does not mean something is wrong with you, it now being celebrated as being sexy. You are in control. You can do whatever you want. Don't get me wrong, being in a relationship is extremely rewarding but we all have those moments where we ask ourselves "Am I going to find the one?" And maybe you will, but remember to live in the moment and establish a relationship with yourself first. Because loving yourself is half the battle.

SATC focuses on "loving yourself first," and that's something we should stress to other women. Many women are fixated on getting into a relationship, but we need to remember to work on ourselves. We are our worst critics sometimes...sometimes we judge ourselves too much. Whether it's our job or appearance...sometimes it feels like we need to be perfect. This is what this show has taught me (and many other women). Seeing these women face everyday battles and still manage to have fun and be badass makes you proud to be a woman.