How To Have The Best Halloween Ever in 2023

Make This Year The Most Memorable, Fun-Filled Halloween

1902
brown and white short coated dog covered with white textile as a ghost

Like it or not, Halloween 2023 is practically here. Some love the holiday, others despite it, but no matter where you fall on that spectrum, we have ideas to get you in the mood and make this the best Halloween you've experienced yet.

toddler on blue elephant costumePhoto by Jeremy McKnight on Unsplash

First of all, it's not too late to nail your Halloween costume.

Last-Minute Halloween Costume Inspiration

4 Steps To Finding The Perfect Budget-Friendly, Last-Minute Halloween Costume

13 Last-Minute Costume Ideas For Those Spookishly Late At Planning

Friends in Halloween CustumeUniversity of Rhode Island

Funny, sexy, or silly, there's a Halloween costume idea for everyone. Understandably, most of us out here are hoping to find a great costume without spending an excessive amount of money (or energy). With only a few accessories needed to complete these costume ideas, you'll be guaranteed a costume fit your budget.

Hopefully, these ideas will inspire you to expand your costume boundaries. Try something new and you just might surprise yourself. Happy Halloween!

16 Halloween Costumes For You And Your Boo That Are So Cute It's Scary

Friends in Halloween Costume  at UniUniversity of Southern Mississippi

I think we can all agree that Halloween is the best holiday. Making costumes with friends, significant others or solo is so much fun.

Not sure what to wear to make a splash? We have plenty of ideas to get your spooky juices flowing.

Best Halloween Activities

7 Halloween Costumes For Broke College Students

You don't have to get drunk to have a good time. Consider these activities...

10 Things To Do On Halloween

pumpkin with candles for halloweenRutgers University

Are you having a hard time finding out what to do on Halloween? Here are 10 things that you can do this year to make the holiday fun and special:

1. Dressing Up

You can dress up as anything you want. You can live in the fantasy that you want to live in. You can be the character that you want to be.

2. Watching Halloween Movies

You can watch Halloween movies. You can watch the ones that you like.

3. Listen To Halloween Music

You can listen to Halloween music. It can be scary, creepy, or gothic music.... [READ MORE]

4 Things To Do On Halloween That Don’t Require Getting Drunk

Room decked out in Halloween decorationsMissouri State University

I love Halloween. Almost as much as I love Valentine’s Day. I love the smells, the aesthetics, the food; fall is great, and Halloween encapsulates it better than Thanksgiving could ever.

However, I’m now 21 and I work at a bar. I am burnt out on Halloween drunkenness (for the time being) and I didn’t even Crawl! I worked! So, I’ve been thinking of some ways to be festive, but stay cozy in bed ... [READ MORE]

How To Celebrate Halloween Without Breaking The Bank

This Is The Deathly, Delicious Halloween Candy You Are Based On Your Zodiac Sign

5 Ways To Throw A Budget-Friendly Halloween Party

people dress up for HalloweenWestern Washington University

Of all the holiday parties you can throw, Halloween parties have the potential to be the most exciting. Costumes, decorations, treats — there are a million ways to make it fun.

If you love hosting like I do, you'll want to throw the best party you can...without breaking the bank. Here are five ideas to do just that.

13 Costume Ideas When You're Spooked About Spending Money

Gril friends in Halloween costumeOklahoma State

Halloween is just around the corner. As someone who LOVES Halloween, I am always thinking of costume ideas. Of course, sometimes people don't want to (or can't) spend much time or money on a costume. This list provides an array of options for anyone looking for costume inspiration. In my experience, Walmart and dollar stores are one of the best places to look for cheap costumes that can be put together quickly. Whether you're just looking for ideas or trying to put together a last-minute Halloween costume, this list is for you.

Get In The Halloween Mood With Music and Movies

silhouette photo of a catPhoto by Sašo Tušar on Unsplash

25 Songs To Add To Your October Playlist To Get You In The Mood For Halloween

dancing skeletons for halloween seasonMichigan State University

When you hear the word "October" what's the first thing you think of? Halloween.

From childhood classics to horror movie themes, there are so many frightfully delighting songs to celebrate Halloween. Here are 25 songs to add to your playlist to help you get in touch with your spooky side!

13 Halloween Movies That Will Have You Nostalgic To Get You Ready For The Spooky Season

characters perform in halloween movieUniversity of Central Florida

Halloween season is in full effect. It doesn't matter that part of the country is still dealing with sweltering heat because the pumpkin patches will open soon and the Halloween decorations are coming out.

Another tell-tale sign that it is the Spooky Season and people everywhere are seeking thrills: Halloween movies are everywhere. What movies are the best to get you in the mood this Spooky Season? How about these...

15 Halloween Movies To Watch On Halloween Instead Of Going Out

halloween decorationsMissouri State University

Name one Halloween that didn't have freezing temperatures and rain/snow? The morning of November 1st might be a nice, beautiful, sunny, warm day, but the weather on the night of October 31 HAS to be crappy. So why put yourself through shivering all night and potential frostbite when you can sit inside, cozy up with some hot chocolate and classic Halloween cookies, and watch some of the best Halloween movies in existence.

18 Halloween Flicks For Your Spooky October Movie Marathon That Won't Make It Hard For You To Fall Asleep

halloween movieFordham University

Movie marathons are definitely a perfect alternative for going out in the chilly fall nights. But, Halloween season doesn't mean you have to watch actual horror movies.

There are endless possibilities and we're ready to get your spooky juices flowing. Here are 18 Halloween movies to watch this Halloween, one after another in true marathon fashion.

Build Up Your Halloween Knowledge To Impress At Parties

The Spooky History Of Halloween

scary halloween pumpkinAuburn University

The traditions of Halloween have come a long way from their ancient origins. Originating around 2,000 years ago, a tradition known as "All Hollows' Eve" began at the end of the harvest season. The ancient Celts would dress in costumes and light a bonfire to ward off evil spirits. Back then, with the cold brought death, and it was a way they believed to keep them safe. [READ MORE]

Kid Halloween vs. Adult Halloween

halloween night with moon and flying witchLuke Jirik

Halloween: one of the few holidays where you can dress up in [almost] anything and not be judged for it. As I’m deciding on a Halloween costume for festivities, I can’t help but reflect on the stark contrast between my feelings on Hallows’ Eve now versus when I was a kid. These days, it’s quickly becoming one of my top favorite holidays, but back then, not so much. There are plenty of differences of celebrating Halloween as a kid vs. as an adult. [READ MORE]

Think About The Treat Side of Halloween

10 Recipes For Halloween Parties That Are So Good It’s SCARY

halloween treatsNorth Carolina State University

Halloween is THE best holiday. It's fun for kids and adults alike, and there are so many ways to get into the spooky spirit. Every year, my roommates and I throw a Halloween party and I'm always on the lookout for delicious recipes to feed my hungry guests.

If you're hosting this year or if you've volunteered to bring a dish, look no further than this list of 10 party foods that are to die for (literally)!

halloween candyAlbany, NY

Halloween is just around the corner and you know what that means - we'll all be indulging in a lot of candy. But the real question is, what candy are you? We've got you covered with your Halloween candy based on your zodiac sign.

And Don't Forget About Halloween Makeup

Simple and "Subtle" Halloween Makeup

Halloween makeupAbigail Letourneau

Since Halloween is on a weekday this year, I have compiled a few looks for those people that aren't allowed to dress up because of school or work, or just don't have to time to go all out. Hey, makeup can't hurt anyone, right? Let's get started.

This Spooky Snake With Jack O' Lantern Patterns Will Inspire Your Halloween Makeup Look

Halloween-colored snakeOklahoma State

Before I jump into neat possibilities for Halloween makeup, I feel that it's necessary to include a little backstory for our pumpkin-snake. [READ MORE]

And For Those Who Want To Debate Halloween vs. Other Holidays...

Here's some food for thought.

Halloween vs. Christmas: Uncovering 6 Reasons Christmas Reigns

Elf movieAlexis Gardner

Let me first start off by saying that I was not allowed to celebrate Halloween growing up. And while at first I was salty about it, the older I got the more I realized how - wait for it - stupid Halloween is and that there are so much better holidays out there. Like Christmas.

To The Girl Who Has Christmas Music On Repeat In October, I'm Sorry But We Can't Be Friends

halloween pumpkin patchThe University of Alabama

I am a by-the-book season/holiday person. That means my skin crawls when I see school supply advertisements in mid-July, I don't want to think about Christmas in September, and I think that it should be a sin to leave your decorations up for more than a week after the holiday/season. But I love holidays!

Comparing Holidays To Determine The Ultimate Candy Holiday

halloween candyMiami University

People hear the word "candy" and immediately think of Halloween. It's understandable. But many other holidays have delicious candies that rival even Halloween: Christmas, Valentine's Day, and Easter among them. [READ MORE]

Making The Most Of Holidays On Campus

halloween pumpkinsUniversity of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

During your first-year of college, the memories of holidays back home can bring many emotions. It's sad that you won't see your family and have a nice dinner with them to celebrate the occasion. That doesn't mean you shouldn't look forward to the fun ways you can get festive on campus with your friends. Here's how my friends and I enjoyed special occasions without alcohol.