18 Halloween Flicks For Your Spooky October Movie Marathon

18 Halloween Flicks For Your Spooky October Movie Marathon That Won't Make It Hard For You To Fall Asleep

Movie night but make it ~spooky~

168
Disney Channel

Movie marathons are definitely a perfect alternative for going out in the chilly fall nights. But, Halloween season doesn't mean you have to watch actual horror movies (like the really good ones I highlighted a couple of seasons ago).

A movie night with your friends, roommates, family, or significant other calls for cute, light-hearted scary movies that are sure to get you in the Halloween spirit. These movies are better than the "scary" ones on Netflix, anyway.

Here are 18 Halloween movies to watch this spooky season:

1. Hocus Pocus (1993)

It's not Halloween season until you've watched Hocus Pocus. Three teenagers try to save their town of Salem, Massachusetts from a trio of witches determined to wreak havoc. I can never watch the end without shedding a tear or two, so good luck.

2. Halloweentown (1998)

This Disney movie is a classic. A family discovers that their ancestors were witches and stays in a town specifically for the supernatural to live. Trouble ensues when the family learns that an evil force much bigger than them is trying to take over their world.

3. Beetlejuice (1988)

This has to be one of my favorite comedies of all time. A couple finds themselves trapped in their home as they realize they're living as ghosts in the afterlife. They seek help from a spirit called Beetlejuice to help them scare away the new buyers of the house. Yet, in the process, they become attached to the daughter of the family who moved in.

4. Goosebumps (literally all of it) (1998)

Sure, watching this series if you're over the age of seven means you're going to find it cheesy. But that doesn't take away from the fact that this show is such a classic; even hearing the theme song puts me in the mood for Halloween. Plus, the episodes are only around twenty minutes long (and some of them have multiple parts) so they're ideal to binge.

5. The Witches (1990)

This one really brings me back to my childhood and, surprisingly, not many of my friends have even heard of this flick. A young boy accidentally walks into a convention of witches while staying at a hotel with his grandma in England. He discovers that their plan, brought forth by The Grand High Witch (played by the iconic Anjelica Huston) is to turn all children into mice. You'll have to watch for yourself to find out how this story turns out...

6. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Is this a Halloween or Christmas movie? The world may never know, so we're going to watch it for spooky season anyway. Jack Skellington, the pumpkin king of his town, discovers a nearby town called Christmastown and plans to take over Santa's place.

7. Edward Scissorhands (1990)

Who doesn't love this movie? After his creator dies before finishing his final product, Edward Scissorhands (played by Johnny Depp, AKA the king of Halloween) is left with scissors for hands. A sweet woman takes him home with her to care for him, which is when he starts to fall for her teenager daughter.

8. Corpse Bride (2005)

This animated stop-motion film from Tim Burton is an absolute must for any Halloween movie night. Nominated for an Oscar, this movie tells the tale of a deceased bride who's convinced she's married to a living man, who's actually engaged to someone else.

9. Little Vampire (2000)

Not many people have heard of this movie, which saddens me because it's honestly one of the cutest movies ever: after an only child moves to a new city and has a hard time making friends at school, he befriends a vampire of his own age and interests.

10. The Addams Family (1991)

It doesn't get much better than this classic supernatural dark comedy. When the Addams family is reunited with a long-lost relative, they become increasingly suspicious that they're being duped by an imposter who's trying to steal the family fortune. Plus, if you like this, you can add the sequel, Addams Family Values, starring the iconic Joan Cusack, to your list.

11. Scooby-Doo (2000)

A Halloween movie marathon isn't the same without Daphne, Fred, Velma, Shaggy, and, of course, Scooby-Doo. Years after solving their last mystery, the gang is sent to the Spooky Island resort to solve yet another mystery.

12. It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966)

If this classic American animated short TV special from Charles M Schulz's Peanuts comic isn't on your list, I have no idea what you're doing. As Charlie and the rest of the crew celebrate Halloween, Linus patiently waits for the Great Pumpkin.

13. The Haunted Mansion (2003)

This movie was directed by Rob Minkoff and stars the legendary Eddie Murphy, so you know it's going to be good. While on vacation with his wife and children, a real estate agent gets assigned a house to sell. But, as the family soon learns, this isn't a normal house—it's a haunted mansion.

14. Casper (1995)

This movie follows such a cute story: a teenager discovers a young, kind spirit, Casper the friendly ghost. The two become inseparable. But, other than having a hard time because of Casper's ghostly transparent state, problems arise when his supernatural family members begin to annoy the pair.

15. Coraline (2009)

I remember watching this as a nine-year-old little girl when it first came out and being absolutely freaked out by it. A young girl finds a secret door within her new house that leads to a parallel universe. This world seems nice until her parallel family tries to keep her in their world forever.

16. Ghostbusters (1984)

Who you gonna call? I doubt you'll find anyone who doesn't like this flick about a team of scientists (played by the much-loved Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, and Harold Ramis) who discover a supernatural gateway. Their mission? To save the city of New York from a ghost invasion.

17. The Mask (1994)

This movie is pure gold. Jim Carrey kills it as a shy businessman who lives a double-life after he discovers a magical mask. When wearing it, he sweeps his crush off her feet. But you'll have to see what happens when the mask maliciously influences him to rob a bank.

18. Little Shop of Horrors (1986)

This hilarious musical dark comedy is sure to put you in the mood for Halloween. After a flower shop worker finds out that one of the flowers relies on human flesh and blood, he has to figure out how to keep it alive since it makes the store more popular.