Before JennSimpsonPens

Before JennSimpsonPens

Reflecting on my year as an Odyssey contributor...
1

On June 27, 2016, I took a bold step forward and published my first article online for the world to see. As an Odyssey contributor, I made a promise to myself that I would try this whole "weekly article" business for a year, no matter what. Some weeks were easier than others. On more than one occasion, I felt like giving up, or that the stress of another weekly deadline wasn't worth it, but I pushed on. Now, here I am, one year later, looking back at a portfolio of 47 (counting this one) posts. I'm somewhat dumbstruck.

I've covered a broad range of topics over the last year, and while some received more attention than others, I'm pleased with my collection of work. Having permission to write about whatever I wanted was amazing (and sometimes, overwhelming). This is an experience I reflect back on fondly. It's been invaluable to have such freedom along with a safety net of editors and a support system of other writers (both for accountability and encouragement). Honestly, I would highly recommend this experience to any aspiring writers who are thinking about branching out.

As for me, this experience has given me the tools and experience I didn't even know I was lacking a year ago to start my own blog (JennSimpsonPens)! At the time of this post, it's still in its infancy, but with the discipline of writing a weekly article for Odyssey, I now know I can handle following a blog schedule.

It's been a great journey (dare I say an odyssey) of learning for me over the last year. Thank you, Odyssey. I couldn't have found my courage without you!

My Odyssey Articles

Disney College Program: DCP Lessons

Just Buy The Toaster

Cry Over The Ranch Dressing

Give Thanks Together

It's A Snake, Sweetheart (Part 1)

It's A Snake, Sweetheart (Part 2)

Movies and Entertainment

Dear Internet, You're Wrong About "Ghostbusters"

Here's The Scoop About "Ghostbusters"

"Book Of The Atlantic" Sets Sail This June

7 Reasons Why You Should See "The Ring" Before You Die

11 Reasons We LOVE Eleven

Blind Date With A Thriller

Food and Drink

Psycho Cupcakes: 13 To-Die-For Treats

Cider And Spice And Everything Nice

Nailed It: Stormtrooper Cupcakes

11 Ways To Dress Up Those Leftovers

What's On Your Cookie Table?

What Blue Apron Doesn't Tell You

Blue Apron Review: How's The Catfish?

Blue Apron Review: Bolognese With Bae

I Don't Want To Give Your Kid A Cheese Sandwich

Free Lunch Might Be Off The Table

Cats

12 Ways My Cat Helps Me Procrastinate

The Cat Who Plays Favorites

Virtues

Why I'm Never Rude To The Cashier

When I Found Dory

Teach Them To Be Kind

Count Your Blessings

Whatever Happened To Our CHILL?

WWE

3 Types Of WWE Fans We All Know

Tag Team Ministry

Work

Today's Goal: Stay Employed

Beware The Boss

Writing

Writing Lessons I Learned From "Hamilton"

Hilarious Homonyms

Ideas Are Like Rocks

Before JennSimpsonPens

Long Distance Relationships Suck

Best Big Sister: The Haircut

When You Marry A Writer

Other

Buy A Home, They Said. It'll Be Fun, They Said.

Dragged To The Doctor's Office

15 Inspiring Quotes From #GLS16

How Do You Costume?

Nailed It: DIY Tree Skirt

Goldilumps And The 3 Bras

Easy Pittsburghese

Well, That's A First