Here's The Scoop About "Ghostbusters"

Here's The Scoop About "Ghostbusters"

"It's 2040. Our President is a plant."

15
Here's The Scoop About "Ghostbusters"
denofgeek.com

What do you get when you take two estranged scientists, an engineer with little regard for social cues and a spunky MTA worker with an encyclopedic knowledge of New York City and throw them into the middle of a scheme to unleash malevolent spirits into the heart of the Big Apple? The answer: Conductors of the Metaphysical Examination -- I mean “Ghostbusters.”

Initially, I was quite nervous that, after having defended the film before its release, it would somehow still fall flat. I can now say with confidence that “Ghostbusters” is not only an entertaining film, but that it was even funnier the second time I saw it. With great leading ladies, an amusing script and cameos from the original cast, “Ghostbusters” is definitely worth watching.

But first, let’s talk about a few of the things I didn’t like. Rowan North, the villain (and I assure you that’s not a spoiler because he doesn’t try to hide the fact at all), lacks any unique motivation for his misdeeds. For me, a bad guy with a strong character is a great benefit to a story, and sadly, Rowan’s motivation seemed little more complex than “I’m a genius working below my station and people are idiots who need to be purged.” But I will say that -- spoiler alert -- he at least becomes more entertaining once he’s dead.

Mayor Bradley, his aide Jennifer Lynch and Homeland Security agents Rorke and Hawkins were also weak foils, and a bit confusing. I still don’t understand if they were for or against the Ghostbusters. I’m also not sure how much of the plot they were or were not aware of, since they were allegedly monitoring a lot of supernatural occurrences, but didn’t seem to want the Ghostbusters’ assistance. Except for when they did. Or did they?

My biggest gripe, however, is a single joke. Near the beginning of the movie, there is a scene that exists for the sole purpose of setting up a gag about flipping someone the bird (a joke which I thought was dumb and unnecessary, but which the other members of the audience seemed to love -- humor is funny like that). Knowing that parents of young children may bring their kids to see “Ghostbusters” (and did during the Friday morning matinee my husband and I attended) I would like to take the chance to remind them that the film is rated PG-13 “for supernatural action and some crude humor” in addition to some profanity sprinkled throughout the film.

Despite these few grievances, I enjoyed the movie very much.Leslie Jones, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon and Kristen Wiig are excellent. They have great chemistry and work well together in this film. Chris Hemsworth was as delightfully hilarious as his character was simple, adding even more laughs. Like most fans of the original, I was eagerly awaiting the cameos from Dan Akroyd, Ernie Hudson, Bill Murray, Annie Potts and Sigourney Weaver, and they didn’t disappoint. What I wasn’t expecting, however, was a clever “cameo” from Harold Ramis in the form of a bust at Columbia University. There are more than a few nods to the original franchise in some of the dialogue as well, so stay alert.

As for the story, the opening scene was very engaging, the jokes plentiful throughout and the concluding battle in Times Square was climactic with stellar visuals. As far as origin stories go, it’s fairly standard and straightforward, but in a good way. Over all, it was a very satisfying experience, and I felt I got my money’s worth. Those who leave immediately after the movie ends, however, will miss out on three to five minutes of bonus scenes that run throughout the credits, a dance sequence, and an after-credits scene that hints at big plot developments to come. So please, don’t leave this one early.

Although last week was a very busy one for my husband and I, I’m glad we were fortunate enough to make plans to see “Ghostbusters” on Thursday night. And, although we hadn’t planned it, I’m glad we had a chance to see it again Friday morning. If we’re lucky, maybe we’ll find an excuse to see it a third time with friends. Any takers?