Before You Date Someone In The Military, Read This

10 Things You Must Consider Before You Date Someone In The Military

Starting a relationship with someone in the military is scary, but definitely worth it.

362

Entering into a relationship with a man (or woman) in the military can be difficult especially if you are not the woman (or man) to put forth the work and time it will need in order for the relationship to work.

Can You Handle The Long Distance?

Long distance relationships can be tricky but being involved with a man in the military can be even trickier. Distance can be extremely tough on a person. As humans, we crave physical contact and we crave personal interactions with the individual in which we are seeing. Having this distance between the two of you can cause conflicts and issues, however, you have to look at the distance between you as a good thing. Distance can make your love or affection and the relationship you share grow even stronger.

Are You Committed To One Another?

Commitment plays a humongous role in maintaining a relationship with someone in the military. Being committed to someone over a long distance requires faith, trust, and patience. Commitment is being honest and loyal to that person no matter what happens. Whether there are bad times that arise you need to forgive them and not throw in the towel when things begin to get too hard.

Working through situations and problems together will bring you so much closer. We need to hold on to the people that we commit to and not give up on them and the relationship we share. Being in a long-distance relationship and dating a man in the military there are so many problems or bad days that can occur but if you are committed to him and what you two share then you can get through any of the tough times that come your way. You will get so much joy and happiness out of it in the end!

Do You Have Trust In Him?

Trust is extremely important. If you do not have trust in him then you do not have trust in the relationship. When he is in another state or he is countries away, you need to trust that he only has eyes for you alone and that he will be faithful to the love and relationship in which you have together. Trust in him to not give up even through the tough times and to always fight for the relationship you guys built just like he fights for our beloved country!

Are You Too Busy In Your Own Personal Life To Have Time For A Relationship?

Being in college or having a demanding job can overpower us and make individuals not only stressed but also super busy. Going to college and getting a higher education takes a lot of time commitment and work to fulfill the classes you need in order to get your degree. No matter if you are in college or have a hectic busy job, you need to find the time and make sure you do not put your relationship with your loved one on the back burner. Relationships take work and time commitment to maintain a healthy and loving relationship between the two of you.

If you are personally too busy to make that time for him and put in the effort you need to make the relationship work, then, in the end, it will crumble. Being in a military type relationship there will be many times in which you are both so busy that you might go days, weeks, months etc. without seeing each other and sometimes even getting the chance to talk to one another. That is where the loyalty, trust, love, and commitment to that person comes into play!

Do You Have Trust In Yourself?

Trusting him is one thing but having trust in yourself and the role that you play in the relationship is equally important as well.

If you do not have trust in yourself that you will stay faithful, loyal, committed etc. to him then your trust in him and the relationship will never happen. Trust in yourself to give the relationship your best shot and to always try your best within it.

Are You On The Same Page As Each Other?

When it comes to any relationship you need to make sure that you two are on the same page. You need to find time to discuss with one another where you are wanting the relationship to potentially lead etc. Let each other know where your boundaries are and personal believes within a relationship. Being on the same page about life and the journey you want to take and face together is extremely important and a huge aspect of having a long-lasting relationship together.

Is There A Time Difference? 

Being hours behind or ahead of one another can be tricky. Planning your days to where you have time set aside for the two of you is important. A time difference can cause complications when it comes to communicating together and when it comes to seeing each other. Remember to communicate with your partner and understand that time changes can be tricky at times but if you find a routine that works for you, stick with it and do not let it be a reason that conflicts arise within your relationship with him.

Are You Good At Planning? 

In order to maintain a healthy and lasting relationship you need to be able to plan accordingly with one another's schedules, time changes, distance etc. Having a plan will let you grow closer together and build a stronger foundation because drawing up a plan and then performing it showcases that you are giving this relationship your all and you are willing to make it work at whatever cost!

Conviction? 

Conviction or belief and assurance. No matter what branch of the military you go into you is making the selfless decision to fight for your country, keep it safe, and potentially risk your life for the sake of saving others. That to me shows that going into a relationship with him, no matter how hard it gets he will always fight for it and give me and our relationship his all!

Are You In This For The Long Haul?

When it comes to entering into a new relationship at this time in your life, looking for a simple boyfriend to pass the time is not what I am looking for. I am looking for a meaningful and hopefully lasting connection with a man that could possibly one day be my husband and go through the journeys of life with me. With a military relationship, you put in so much time, energy, commitment, trust etc. that it builds such a strong and lasting connection and bond between the two of you that you would not ever want to end.

Yes, having a man in the military is amazing and wonderful, but make sure that is not the only reason you are pursuing him. It is not the military that makes him the man I want to be with, but the man within him and his personality and love for life is! The way he acts goofy on facetime or when we talk about our love of our father, Jesus Christ. Him being in the Coast Guard is only a job I see. The fact that he decides to put his life on the line for others and protect our country with no hesitation or concern about himself is what makes him the man I want to be with! That is what makes him a wonderful man to have within our military!

Consider these questions if you are thinking about dating someone who either is already in the military or wants to be in the military. These relationships are so special but take a lot of work and dedication.

The reward of having him at the end of the day is better than any struggles you might face along the way!

From Your Site Articles
Related Articles Around the Web