An Open Letter To My Military Man

An Open Letter To My Military Man

I’m tired of missing and wishing, but one day I won’t anymore, and that thought in itself fills me with joy.

1891
An Open Letter To My Military Man
Julie Myers

To the Love of My Life,

There is too much in my head to even begin to put on paper. I remember the nights I used to pray for someone like you to enter my life. Strong, smart, and a wonderful sense of humor. Somehow the Lord blessed me with all of the above-- and of course, your looks are the icing on top. Forever seems minute compared to all that we’ve been through already, no matter how young or old the relationship might be. If someone asked me to change something, I’m not sure I would. There are things that might suck, but each part is part of us, and I would do it all again.

Communication can suck. They made phones for texting, calling, and FaceTime, but nothing is the same as actual face time with you. There are times you’re busy when I’m not, and times when I’m busy and you’re not. Half the time I set an alarm to wake myself up at three in the morning just to talk to you for five minutes if I want any time to talk in the day at all. Yet, I would do that every morning for as long as I live as long as it meant a couple minutes. Maybe the arguments technically last longer and take longer to resolve since there are hours between the messages, and a lot of times I can feel left hanging when we’re having a serious conversation and I realize I never got an answer, but again, I’d always do it. Without a doubt.

I miss the little things. Like driving on back roads screaming our favorite songs, binge-watching the TV show we started together and talking about it for hours after, and grabbing food together when we’re bored for a quick ride to the beach. Sometimes I worry that without you there and with so much physical distance between you and I that it might affect distance between us in all senses. I worry about your safety, when you’ll be home, when I’ll get to talk to you, what the future might hold. In all honesty, I just miss you, and I wish you were here.

Yeah, there are some things I may not get. I’m not in the military so I can’t relate to you on that level and I may not understand military jargon. Sometimes I might not understand that each activity you are doing that takes away time from me is always necessary, but it’s only because I wish it weren’t. I wish I had more minutes and more hours. It’s almost laughable to me when I hear friends complain about not seeing their significant other for one week because I wait months for you. However, I do know that what you’re doing to defend the country that I live in is more important than I can fathom, and it’s making a better life for you-- and hopefully me-- in the future.

Yet, the pros outweigh the cons. Since we don’t get a lot of face time, the time we do get we spend learning more about each other and simply talking. There’s joy that comes from discovering who you are and what makes you tick on the inside. On top of that, we still retain our individuality. A lot of times, couples hang out so much that they almost are the same person-- which isn’t totally bad. But, they might lose who they are as a person without their significant other in the mix. At least without the option to hang out a lot, we are still able to touch base with what makes us, us-- our friends, families, and more. Plus, it’s always so much sweeter when you do come home. Everything is held even closer to my heart than before.

My biggest help to get through without you is keeping positive, prayer, and ironically enough, you in general. I’m tired of missing and wishing, but one day I won’t anymore, and that thought in itself fills me with joy. I’m incredibly thankful for you and all you do. I’m thankful you are patient with me even when it’s difficult.

I love you, my dear. Stay safe and come home soon.

Love,

The Girl Back Home