17 Lessons I Taught My Ex-Boyfriend

17 Things My Ex's Next Girlfriend Can Thank Me For When They're Together

You're welcome.

175
Kelsey Dietrich

Ending a relationship is never an easy thing to do. However, every relationship does have positive outcomes. There is always something to learn either about yourself, other people, or life in general. Sometimes, those learning experiences result from your own revelations and sometimes from what other people have made you realize.

Here are 17 things my ex-boyfriend's next girlfriend can thank me for when they're together:

1. I taught him the importance of communication.

Communication is key in every relationship of your life.

2. I made him aware of love languages

Knowing how you best receive love and how your partner best receives love will offer opportunities to fulfill love tanks so much easier.

3. I encouraged him to get involved.

It's definitely a major turn-off when your significant other has loads of free time and is doing nothing productive with that it.

4. I helped him to develop a purpose.

This resulted from number 3.

5. I taught him the importance of living in the moment.

Being present is crucial to enjoying and fully understanding the experience.

6. I showed him how valuable pictures are.

Take a million pictures (even if one day you do break up, you'll be glad you took the pictures).

7. I taught him NOTHING happens unless there is mutual consent.

CONSENT, CONSENT, CONSENT, gentlemen.

8. I let him know you cannot go days without having a conversation if you're in a real relationship.

There needs to be quality communication to keep any relationship on good terms.

9. I helped strengthen his time management skills

Life is busy; everyone is busy. But if you're truly meant to be together, then you will learn how to manage school, work, family, friends, hobbies, and your dating life.

10. I let him know how important it is to question the world.

You can't always believe everything you hear.

11. I demonstrated how to set goals.

This can be challenging, but it's so worth it in order to develop passions, value preferences, and priorities.

12. I demonstrated how to pursue those goals.

What's even more important than setting goals is actually taking steps to achieve them.

13. I encouraged him to hold the door open (for any and all people).

He never quite got a hang on making this a habit, but perhaps someday it will happen for somebody else.

14. I taught him the importance of family.

Make time to enjoy all of your relatives in your life, even if you don't think that your situation is the best, because at least you have these people in your life.

15. I reiterated that your actions need to align with your words.

If you want anyone to take you seriously, then your actions MUST align with your words.

16. I let him know how important it is to be mindful.

This quality is necessary for all aspects of life, not just in relationships.

17. I taught him the importance of a goodnight message.

You should never go to bed feeling negative. Sending a thoughtful goodnight message is a great way to let the other person know you are the last thing they are thinking of for the day.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.