Tips for Military Couples
Dating

5 Helpful Suggestions For Military Couples

A few relationship tips for military and veteran couples.

278

A military couple is a couple that consistsof at least one person in the military, or formally in the military. Due to the nature of their service and sacrifice, many military couples have to endure many strains, challenges, and uncomfortableness throughout their relationship. Since Veteran's Day just recently passed, it may be insightful to consider these few helpful suggestions for those involved in this kind of relationship.These suggestions should be considered by many military couples, for the state of your relationships are just as important as any other couple's.

1. Open Book From The Start

upload.wikimedia.org

It is important to layout things about each other from the start. Sometimes deployment can be unexpected for those in active duty, so opening yourselves up to each other early may provide a trust factor for the relationship, which is necessary if distance comes into play frequently. Also, setting your goals and intentions early are important too. Letting each other know where you would like the relationship to go is warranted, because time can be fickle. For those doing multiple tours, it may be difficult to have any time to really get to know someone, so when you do have time, you may need to capitalize on it.

2. Planning Ahead 

upload.wikimedia.org

As a couple, it is imperative to plan ahead. Each of you would need to take advantage of brief breaks and periods between tours. It is not wise to wait until the last minute, because things may be difficult to plan quality time when under pressure. Also, phone calls and video chats may only be allowed to happen at selective times, so having a schedule will allow you both to have valued conversations.

3. Spending Strategically

c1.staticflickr.com

Though most active members receive compensation for their continued service, it is not unheard of to have payment delays or changes in payments, so money must be used in way that is durable and often beneficial for the both of you. Everyone does some frivolous spending now and then, but irregularity in income, could be a lot to manage for a couple. For example, those who are no longer in active duty, sometimes have financial issues. Veteran support can be wavering depending on where you live, so there needs to be some sort of financial contingency plan for the both of you.

4. Family & Support System 

c1.staticflickr.com

Raising a family can be difficult, because the family dynamic may change from single parenting to co-parenting inconsistently. It is vital for couples to be in accord in how they raise their families, so that the parenting style does not shift too much. Also, there may be periods when you feel lonely or worried, so leaning on your family and friends for support can ease any sense of loneliness or worry. For the ones who are deployed, relying on your fellow soldiers interpersonally can help too.

5. Ask For Help

upload.wikimedia.org

Many active soldiers and veterans deal with physical and/or mental disorders, which can affect the non-service partner too by default and association. It is not uncommon for veterans to have a hard time discussing any difficulties they may have, have had, or seen. Asking for help is probably one of the most important things for a military couple to do. And the Veteran's Affairs (VA) hospitals are a huge resource for couples to utilize. Some people are unaware that the VA not only helps the individual who served the country, but the family of the individual who served the country.

These suggestions should be considered by many military couples, for the state of your relationships are just as important as any other couple's.

Thank you for your service.