5 Reasons Long Distance Relationships Are Beautiful

The brave ones take on the challenge and say "See you soon" instead of "Goodbye."
54

People meet, collide, and interact every second of every day. While on the journey, you might stumble upon someone who makes your heart skip a beat, someone you couldn't imagine your life without. Sometimes, people fall in love and have to go there separate ways to live out their dreams while they are young. Then, they decide, do it together, or apart.

The thought of a long distance relationship scares a lot of people.

"Are we going to stay together?"

"Will we have the same spark we did when we first met?"

The brave ones take on the challenge and say "See you soon" instead of "Goodbye." I am going to tell you the wonders of having a long distance relationship in the prime years of your life.

1. You learn how to be independent.

Heading into college, I had no idea as to how a long distance relationship would work, but I was willing to try to figure it out, for the right person. Right from the start, I was making wonderful friendships, dancing all night, spending hours in coffee shops learning about others and myself, and most importantly living my life for the first time on my own, and happier than ever. I was independent and loving it. I very quickly came to the realization that having someone that cared for me each night and supported my excitement and happiness was the greatest gift, no matter how far away they were.

2. It builds and requires trust.

I learned quickly the amount of trust my partner and I had for one and another. I was able to live my life and make my own experiences out of my first year of college but knew I had someone that was checking up on me, wanted to know about my day, and had someone to make me smile. We learned how to communicate in the best way. Our relationship was constantly being tested to see how we would handle certain situations, what we would tell each other, and how we would solve problems from afar. Our trust for each other moved leaps and bounds.

3. The excitement builds between visits.

If you are in a long distance relationship when they text you, call you, facetime you, the excitement never dies down. It is fun getting excited and giggly like how you used to be when you first met. The thought of meeting up and seeing your person after a long time is a great feeling.

4. Seeing each other after so long apart is indescribable.

When you see your partner after a long time, it's like seeing them for the first time, over and over again. There is so much to catch up on, stories to tell, and laughs to be had. There really isn't time to sit around and be bored, the time spent together is special, worth the drive, and memorable until the next time you can see each other again.

5. The commitment is a beautiful thing.

I think that being in a long distance relationship is the most beautiful thing. The way two people can come together and have so much love they don't want to be apart, speaks miles about their relationship and what they strive to be together. The way two people learn to live alone in a prime, exciting time is more than important. Having a support system that always has your back is not something to take advantage of. It is so easy to meet someone and spend all of your time with them. It is more difficult to learn how to be yourself, make friends by yourself, and live the life you've always wanted with someone your heart grows fond for, far away.

To me, it seems very rewarding to be in a relationship where your partner and yourself value independence, strive for goals bigger than you could imagine and are truly looking to have an experience that shapes your life for the better. Long-distnace relationships are beautiful and worth fitting for.