7 Benefits To A Long Distance Relationship

The positives may be hard to find at first. But if you look hard enough, you'll find they're already there.

526
www.huffingtonpost.com

It's no secret that long distance relationships are never easy. And I think it's fair to say that no one would choose to be in a long distance relationship if they didn't have to. But regardless of a couple's reasoning for being long distant, it is up to them to decide how they can make the most of it. When a couple has to be long distance for a significant amount of time, it can feel like that phase is filled with more negatives and positives. But the same can be said for all difficult phases in life. One of the most important things for couples in long distances relationships to remember it is just a phase. It will come to an end. And while it might feel like there are more disadvantages than advantages on the surface, I know that if a couple is willing to look hard enough, the benefits to a long distance relationship can be more clear than it seems.

1. The surprises are never ending

When you don't get to see each other very often, surprises become a huge part of your relationship. Whether those surprises are special gift packages or a spontaneous visit, the little things mean so much more when they are rarities. A short voicemail in the morning or a sweet card in the mail can lead to a bigger smile than you'd ever expect.

2. Long distance requires more effort, but also shows more commitment

As I already said, long distance relationships aren't easy for anyone. They require a lot of patience and even more trust. But a long distance relationship can also strengthen a couple. It's easy to show your love for one another when you're together all the time. But expressing that love when you're miles apart is a whole different kind of challenge. The more effort you put into a relationship, the more it means to the person you're dating.

3. You learn to appreciate that commitment even more

Not only is it easier to express love when you are together all the time, it is also easier to take that love for granted. But when you and your special person are forced to be apart, you learn to appreciate even the littlest things they do to make you happy. Coming home early to talk on the phone means more than you think. And a date night over Facetime can feel just as intimate and special as being right there with them. Yes, it will never completely measure up to in person dates, but it's definitely a start.

4. You grow as individuals, and a couple

When you're young and in love, it's all too easy to get wrapped up in each other and forget about taking care of yourself, too. Spending your time focused on making your partner happy is never a bad thing. But it's also important to remember that it's not a bad thing to make yourself happy either! It's hard to go through big, or even small, moments apart. You go through the days doing your own thing and making yourself the person person you can be. But the important part is that at the end of the day, you still share those moments together.

5. If you can overcome this, than you can overcome anything

If you can find a way to show each other love and appreciation when you're apart, then just imagine how happy you will make each other when you're finally together. They say that good things are worth waiting for. And when it comes to long distances relationships, I don't think any cliche quote has ever been more true.

6. You're reminded why you began dating in the first place

When you can't be physically together, then you have to focus on the emotional and spiritual parts of your relationship. You get to rediscover the friendship that you two shared and what ultimately started it all. Being miles apart means you can't show your love with a kiss, holding hands, or a hug. But being there to listen to your best friend when they really need you will touch their heart more than any physical touch ever could.

7. You learn every hello is worth the goodbyes

At the end of the day, nothing will ever make you feel better about your time apart except looking forward to the time you will be together. It will be inevitably difficult. You will fight over things you aren't actually angry about because you know deep down you just miss each other. But every time the waiting finally ends and you get to be together, you'll be reminded that it was all more than worth it. You will learn that every hello is worth every goodbye. And all the pain of being apart is completely outweighed by the joy of being together. So while it is a difficult phase, you have to remember it is only just a phase. It will end and the sorrow of being apart will end too, but your love for each other never will.