I Told Myself I Would Never Date An Army Man, But I'm Glad I Lied

He's the best thing that's happened to me.

788

Growing up without a military base within 100 miles of where I live, I never thought in a million years I would fall in love with someone in the armed forces.

I used to praise military wives for all of the sacrifices they constantly made to be with their husbands and I've always thought they were the strongest women on the face of the planet. I still do.

I also used to think I could never be in their shoes. I made a promise to myself that I would never date, let alone marry, anyone in the military. I didn't think I would be able to handle the possibility of moving every few years or so, handle him being gone on potential deployments, or handle the "what ifs."

I'm glad I broke that promise to myself.

Now, going on two years into my relationship with an Army man, I wouldn't trade my relationship for the world. I have never loved so deeply in my entire life.

I have learned more about myself during my relationship with him than I have in all my years of existence. I have grown stronger than I ever thought was possible. I have learned to see the big picture and to not let the small things get in the way. I learned to fight harder than anything I've ever fought for in my life for something I love.

I've learned to appreciate the small moments in life, and to never take anything for granted because you never know when your world's going to change. I have strengthened my relationships with God, my family, and my closest friends.

I've learned to pray for the best and expect the worst. I've learned to go with the flow rather than sticking to a strict plan.

I've learned that many people you surround yourself with can never and will never understand you, but that's okay. I've learned that sometimes you have to give yourself the best advice because there are not many people around you who can.

I've learned to follow my heart and to listen to it. I've learned to do want makes me happy, not what makes everyone else happy.

I've met my soulmate and I love the fact that he's in the Army. I could not be more proud of him.