To The Girls With Younger Sisters, Tell Them This Now
Siblings

Put your makeup on, do your hair, get your nails done, and most importantly, show them that you don't have a care in the world.

256
Photo by Gracie Swift

Recently it's been put on my heart to share my two cents about bullying.

I have a beautiful, talented, funny, smart, and all around amazing little sister who has recently not been given a fair hand when it comes to friendships. Thankfully, she has never been truly and really "bullied" however, girls have been mean and nasty to her in the past.

When I was a senior in high school, my younger sister was a freshman. Being an upperclassman at the time was an advantage because anyone who was mean to her, I took care of. Not in a bullying type of way, but in a way to where the antagonist would understand to leave my sister alone, or apologize. All other older siblings, both girls, and guys can agree with me on this... my instinct just comes out and I want no harm to come to my mini-me.

I have come to realize over the years that a lot of mean-girl bullying crap stems from jealousy or insecurity.

I used to be very shy and timid, which if you know me personally probably seems ridiculous, but it's true. I would let people walk all over me. Eventually, I grew a tough skin and began handling my issues. NOBODY was going to mess with me, but even more importantly, my family, friends, or dog.

I learned that confrontation works from time to time... they get really caught off guard when you call them out on their bs to their face (rather than over the phone.) If that fails, which it might then there's this motto;

Put your makeup on, do your hair, get your nails done.

I mean seriously. You do a little self-care, make yourself feel strong and even more beautiful than you are, than you're already winning the fight. If you act like their mean-girl games don't hurt you, then eventually they won't. If you have to cry, wait until you're home or harness that sadness to stand up for yourself.

I was told all of these things as I got older and learned to have somewhat of a backbone, but I really wish I would've learned it earlier.

This motto can carry you through most things in life. Bullying, breakups, job interviews, whatever it may be. I have told my sister always to let it seem like she doesn't care, and I will never stop reiterating it to her. I want her to actually use this motto and run with it. I think all younger girls need to hear this.

It's not a nice world out there most of the time. Learn to stand strong and confident in yourself, be sure to share that with the baby sistas.

From Your Site Articles
Related Articles Around the Web