A Letter of Thanks To The Big Sister I Never Had

We may not actually be related, but you're still my sister.

2925
Julia Waterbury

Dear Big Sis,

There's a bond between sisters that is incredibly special. For this reason, I've always wished I had an older sister. Sometimes I think I've missed out by not sharing bad haircuts or matching outfits with anyone. Fortunately, even though I don't have an older sister, I have the next best thing: you. Even though you've never lived with me and we don't have the same parents, you've been there for me for my entire life, so there are a few things I wanted to thank you for...

Thank you for all of the advice.

Anytime I have a question about school, friends, boys, travels or anything else, I know that you'll be there to give me advice about anything and everything.

Thank you for all of the games you played with me when I was little.

Whether I wanted to play "sisters," "Guess Who?" or anything else, you were always willing to go along with me. You let me hang out with you and your friends and never treated me like I was just a little kid.

Thank you for being a part of my family.

From sleepovers at my grandparents, to playing tricks on my dad with me, to family parties, you've always been more than just a "family friend."

Thank you for being my friend.

I'm so glad that I now have you as not only a big sister, but also as a friend. Even when we're hundreds of miles apart, I know that I can tell you or come to you for anything.

Thank you for looking out for me.

You always make sure to keep up with what's going on in my life and check up on how I'm doing. You even send me care packages which, as every college student knows, is about as exciting as it gets!

Thank you for all the memories.

From sailing in Door County, to hiking in New York, to cuddles on the couch, my life has been filled with so many happy memories because of you.

Thank you for being someone I can look up to.

I always have and always will admire you. You are passionate, driven, kind, adventurous and so much more—all qualities that I hope to have too.

Even though we may not actually be sisters, you'll always be my big sis and I'm so grateful that you're such a big part of my life.

Love,

Your little sis