A Letter To My Older Sister

Dear Sis,

I look up to you in so many ways, and you inspire me more than you could ever imagine. I know, I was once the annoying little sister who got everything she wanted, and you were the mean big sister who always picked on me (if we’re being honest, you still do), but now that we are older and somewhat more mature, I realize how lucky I am to have an older sister.

I like to think of you as my built-in best friend. You have no choice but to love me, no matter how hard it is sometimes. You are always looking out for me, whether it was my first day of high school or my first date. Although we argue, I know at the end of the day there is no one who loves and cares about me as much as you do, and for that I am forever grateful.

Thank you for making all of the mistakes before I had a chance to, and for being open enough to let me learn from them. We all make mistakes, but learning from your older sister, and having her there to comfort you when bad things happen, makes it much more bearable. Thank you for always accepting me. Okay, I know we make fun of each other 24/7, but we do it out of love (most of the time). Who else would still love me after seeing me in my middle school stage and knowing all my embarrassing stories?

Thanks for helping me make fun of our parents and always making family events much more entertaining. When we're together, we have so much fun and some of my best memories are spent with you. Although you and I are completely different, and always have been, we share so much in common and we can always relate to each other. You have helped me tremendously, especially in the past few years, and I hope I have done the same for you. Thank you for being the one person I can always count on for anything.

You believe in me, and I know I'll always have a supporter in you. If I have a crazy dream that seems too far out of reach, I can count on you to inspire me and tell me that I can do anything I want. You don’t realize the impact you’ve left on me, and I don’t tell you enough how thankful I am for you. All I ever wanted when I was younger was to be more like Sissy, and when I look back, I realize how annoying I must’ve been. Thank you for loving me through it all and never giving up on me.

I know I’m lucky to have a big sister, and even luckier to have one that I’m so close to. I couldn’t imagine life without you, and I wouldn’t want to. Thanks for not only being my sister but also being the greatest friend I could ever ask for. I'm so proud to call you my big sister.

Much love,

Your little sister