13 Things You Learn When You Have A Younger Sister

You now know the entire script of 'Frozen.'
576

We all know that siblings are a blessing and a curse. Some are blessed with just a few siblings that get along perfectly and some are cursed with nothing but rambunctious older brothers. I was definitely blessed to have an array of siblings, one of them being 15 years younger than I. It was definitely a shock, but it is more common than some may think. Life is never boring with a little one running around the house creating noise and trouble wherever they roam. And picking up after them is just as much fun as taking care of them. The age difference may be big, but the love I have for my little sister is even bigger. Here are a few tell-tale signs that you also have a sibling way younger than you and the things you learn from it.

1. You forever will have a playdate buddy.

It never fails you always have someone to play with and release your inner child. It's one of the many great things about having a younger sibling.

2. You get to practice for the future.

Despite what you may think, being an older sibling can be hard. You are basically the "built-in-babysitter," my mom likes to call it. You get a lot of practice where kids are concerned in this situation. When the age difference is a pretty big gap, it can help prepare you for the future when and if you have your own kids.

3. It also helps decide whether or not you think you want kids later in life.

Yeah... it can also determine if you'd be a good parent or, you know if you want to have several screaming and pooping children running around all of the time. But, of course, they can be darling angels too.

4. You learn how much patience you actually have.

As you may already know, kids can be a handful, especially once they reach their toddler years. You will soon figure out how much patience you do have when that time comes. Eventually, you'll probably just stop caring if there is marker painted on every piece of furniture in the house. It happens.

5. You get to act like a kid again and not many people think much of it.

Oh yeah. Here comes the fun part. This is not limited at home. You can go anywhere and play around and have fun. You can spend your time at the park and it not be weird because you have a child with you. Or you can still go by yourself, no judgment.

6. You watch the same movies/shows over and over.... and over again.

EVERY DISNEY MOVIE EVER. Enough said.

7. People always think that you are the parent of your younger sibling.

Boy, if this ain't the truth. I can't tell you how many times I've been thought to be the mother of my little sister. It's awkward especially if your mom is standing right next to you (sorry mom). But after a while, you just get used to it and actually agree with the people that assume that your sibling is actually your kid. It's just easier.

8. You have the chance to teach things that you wish you knew when you were younger.

On a more serious note, you have the opportunity to teach your sibling all the things you wish you had known growing up. Growing up can be tough and mentally exhausting, especially at certain times (middle school phase- we looking at you), but now is the chance to help them through it and make things right. They don't have to suffer like we did.

9. You create a bond like no other.

As you watch them grow, they become your best friend. Everything you do they will look up to you. And the memories you create with them are ones to last a lifetime and hopefully none they will forget.

10. You gain a friend and a responsibility to be their role-model.

THIS is your chance to leave a good impact on someone. It can be very tough and you may have a lot of pressure on your shoulders, but you'll start to think that if they look up to anyone now or later on in life, you want it to be you. And another thing you'll learn is that as they grow, they become your best friend.

11. You always have an excuse to NOT go out.

Hey, we've all done it before, no shame. BUT, here is a legitimate reason not to go out and hang with your friends when you'd rather be at home. Works every time.

12. No really, sometimes you can't go out.

Except those days when you actually do want to go out and you can't because you really are babysitting that night. Fun.

13. Everyone is so shocked to hear that your sibling is so much younger than you.

Yeah, I hear this one a lot too. People don't realize that a lot of families have kids that are pretty spaced out. I know of several families that do. So you can stop looking at me like we are some Puritan family that has 8 million kids, Sharon.

The greatest thing of all about having younger siblings is the memories you make with them and the influence you give them in life. I will forever be grateful for the opportunity that I have had to grow as an older sister. Kids can teach you amazing things, and you can also teach yourself great things taking care of them. You will create a bond and be their first best friend in life, and that is all one can ask for as an older sibling.