10 Things You Realize As Your Little Sister Grows Up

No matter how old she gets, she will always be your adorable kid sister.

3046
Alexis Napoli

Dedicated to my teenage sister.

As you sit and look back on your childhood, you question how fast time really does go by. Despite the screaming matches with your sister and days of locking each other in the basement, you wouldn’t trade them for the world because those moments have only brought you closer together. As your baby sister grew up to be your not so little sister, you realize changes within herself and in yourself. Here are 10 of them.

1) The Too Cool For You Phase Is Real

Remember being embarrassed by your parents whenever they were around your friends? You felt babied and couldn’t wait to get away from them. So, imagine how your sister feels being bombarded by your parents but also by you! She will shoo you away if her friends are over and if you ask her to go out, don’t be offended if she replies to your suggestion with, “that’s dumb.” She thinks she is an adult and only the trendiest events appeal to her.

2) It's Easier For Her To Have A Social life

As the older sister, you have to go through the strict curfews and helicopter parenting because you are the first child and your parents are nervous wrecks about letting you go out anywhere without them, let alone at night. By the time your younger sister starts having a social life, your parents are more lenient with curfew time and who she is getting a ride home from. *rolls eyes*

3) They Outgrow You In Size

Whenever you are out with your sister, you are the one mistaken for the younger of the two. Your “little” sister towers over you and her face and body look more grown up than yours. (Since when did 14-year-old kids look like they are 17). And let’s be honest, she could probably beat you in a fight.

4) No One Will Ever Be Good Enough For Her

Whether male or female, no one will ever amount to your sister’s worth. She will talk about her crush and show you their Instagram, but as the older sister, it is only natural to pick apart that person’s life and make sure your sister doesn’t end up dating a total noob. She may get annoyed and think you are overreacting, but that’s the job of a big sister.

5) Her Sass Is Worse Than Yours

It’s funny to think that your parents complained and carried on about how bad your attitude was, meanwhile your sister’s is 10x worse. She learned from the best, you, and has no problem using your sass against you. Now you know what your parents felt like when you talked back to them, and feel bad for it. Don’t worry, this phase is temporary, so just try to avoid the inevitable fights.

6) She Forms Her Own Opinion

Say goodbye to the times when your baby sister would agree with everything you would say to be just like her big sis. Disagreements may arise due to your differentiating opinions, but she will always respect what you have to say and vice versa.

7) You’ll Always Have Each Other’s Backs

As a big sister, it is your job to protect and support your younger sister. No matter where you are or what time of the day it is, if your sister needs you, you will drop what you are doing to be there for her and she will do the same. Your relationship should be judgement free and honest, regardless of the situation.

8) Be Her Biggest Fan

Besides parents, you, the big sister should be her biggest fan. Do that by attending all of her plays, chorus concerts, and sporting events. If you can’t physically be there, cheer her on from miles away. And if you are physically there, she will blush with embarrassment because you should play up the role as big sis and cheer the loudest and cry the ugliest cry because of how proud you are to have an amazing and talented sister.

9) Every Year She Gets Older, The More You Deny She Is Growing Up

Every time your sister’s birthday passes, you feel 5x older. You are in denial that they are not the little kid you use to boss around. Their birthday makes you miss the old times when you would yell, "stop copying me" because now they are their own person and don't need to rely on you as much. You remember what it was like to be the age that they turned and your wish, as they blow out their candles, is to shrink them back to their six-year-old self.

10) She Is Your Best Friend

No one gets you like your sister does. She knows you inside out, upside down, backwards and forwards. She is your go-to-girl, partner in crime, and heart. Sisters know when something is wrong and their thoughts are usually in sync. They will take each other’s secrets to the grave and never rat each other out (anymore). She has helped you grow and learn things about yourself that you never knew before. Being a leader is one of those things. With her looking up to you, you were conscious to make the right choices and be on your best behavior so she would learn to act the same way. Sisters are there for each other in times of celebration and in times of despair. No matter how old sisters may get, the older sister will always smother her baby sis with affection.

This goes out to Sammi. Thank you for being my most trustworthy best friend. I am thankful that we got closer as we grew up. I don’t know what I’d do without your humor and endless love. I love you.

"Keep me wild and I will keep you safe."