Top 40: Best Movies of All-Time

Top 40: Best Movies of All-Time

If I had just one more spot you guys would be reading my fluff piece on why 'Twilight' deserves spot #41

1645
Top 40: Best Movies of All-Time
Hailey Hastings

I may be a mediocre person overall, but my taste in all things media far outshines most people's. In my *humble* opinion, at least. I could go on and on about movies, and why I love them all day, but for now, this article will do. Feel free to share your favorite films in the comments, I always love to see what media people consume at the level I consume my favorite pieces of media.

(This list is in no particular order)

The Worst Person in the World (2021)

Joachim Trier Running GIF by Madman FilmsGiphy

I watched "The Worst Person in the World" in the theaters the first time and loved it, but it was the second time that left me ugly crying and really doing some self-reflecting. I realized about halfway through the film that I am Julie. We are the same person. Both are the worst people in the world. And for the exact same reasons, I won't give it away, because you have to see this movie if you haven't yet. God, it's good. I haven't been able to stop talking about it. The self-destruction, the inability to stick with anything, the throwing away good things for something that just feels good in the moment, it all just hits too close.

The School of Rock (2003)

jack black hardcore GIFGiphy

Somehow I have talked to multiple people recently that have never seen this movie?? It's quite perplexing. Jack Black is a complete force, that gift he has is on the highest pedestal here in "School of Rock." The young cast plus the addition of Joan Cusack and killer musical numbers make for a stellar film. I still sing "Rock Got No Reason" all the time.

Good Will Hunting (1997)

good will hunting film GIFGiphy

I did say this list is in no particular order, but these top three movies could easily all switch out as number one. Based on the story alone, "Good Will Hunting" is THE best movie of all time. Matt Damon and Robin Williams sharing the screen created a chemistry that is unlike anything else I have seen. I cried for the last thirty minutes uninterrupted.

And that ending scene? KILLED ME. The best payoff ever.

Tommy Boy (1995)

chris farley Tommy Callahan GIFGiphy

Chris Farley is the funniest person to have ever existed. It's as simple as that. When you put him on screen he just came alive, and buddied up with David Spade? There is just nothing like the two of them together. "Tommy Boy" is the first movie I have memories watching, when I was a toddler I wouldn't go to sleep without it on. It still is a movie I watch at least once a week.

Spanglish (2004)

"Uncut Gems" is great, "Punch Drunk Love" is stellar, but Adam Sandler's best movie is "Spanglish." If you haven't seen it, I am so sorry, please show yourself some self-love and go watch ASAP. One of my favorite rom-coms to ever grace my screen.

The Holiday (2006)

Cameron Diaz Alcohol GIFGiphy

My question to you all that have seen "The Holiday," is there a scenario where you watch and don't fall in love with all four of the main characters? Because I was unable to escape without doing so. Especially when it comes to Jude Law. If a perfect man exists it's his character in this film.

Also, if anyone wants to switch houses and happens to live in the cutest town in the UK, I am available.

Practical Magic (1998)

sandra bullock love this movie so much GIFGiphy

Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman sharing the screen in "Practical Magic" is a blessing to everyone. I found this movie a few years ago and have been obsessed every sense. Anything where I get to see badass women take out a shitty man is a big yes from me!

Harry Potter ( Collective) (2001-2011)

Flying Harry Potter GIF by The Story RoomGiphy

I get emotional even trying to put into words what the "Harry Potter" world has meant to me over my lifetime. These movies have been the biggest safety blanket for me. I have seen the series all the way through at least a few hundred times, if not more. They are just such stellar movies and perfectly cast. Some of the greatest actors and actresses graced those films.

To be transparent, I do not condone or agree in any way shape or form with a single thing J.K Rowling has said and think she is a joke. The movies have been a part of my life since I was four, so I'll always love them and be grateful for what they've given me.

Booksmart (2019)

funny best friends GIF by BooksmartGiphy

Not only is "Booksmart" the greatest coming of age movie, but it also holds its own with the greatest modern comedies. Kaitlyn Dever and Beanie Feldstein are actresses that are completely taking over the industry, and all the reasons why are showcased beautifully right here in "Booksmart." I could watch this movie on a never-ending loop and just keep finding new things I love.

The Godfather (1972)

Marlon Brando Movie GIFGiphy

This is about as "film bro" Esque as my list is going to get, but hey, I can't help what a spectacular film "The Godfather" is. There is a reason it's widely considered one of the greatest films, it's hard to watch performances like this, and to see the details put into this film and sell it short at all. The sequel is just as good, which is beyond rare. The only other time that has happened is with the masterpiece that is "Shrek 2."

Silent Hill (2006)

silent hill horror GIFGiphy

I have always had an affinity for horror movies that really make you think, that you really have to pay attention to the actual story, that's what you get with "Silent Hill." I have a longing to go visit the real-life town from the movie, even though I know the danger, if you're down hit me up!

Before Sunrise (1995)

ethan hawke love GIF by FilmStruckGiphy

The "Before Trilogy" is the greatest love story ever played out on screen, it's not up for debate. But specifically, "Before Sunrise" just makes me feel such intense emotions and attachments to Jesse and Celine. Their love is so evident from such an early point, you as the audience know before they do that they've fallen for each other. It's the most unrealistic, realistic love story. I'll know I have found the one when they make me feel the same way I do when I watch this movie.

Hook (1991)

captain hook smiling GIFGiphy

I have a lot of comfort movies on this list, I think that just shows how often I need comfort. Anything with Robin Williams is immediately going to be loved by me, it's just a bonus that "Peter Pan" is one of my favorite tales. Seeing the story brought to life in this way brought a new level of magic to it. I love the film so much that I have ideas for a "Hook" inspired tattoo. It's that serious.

The Parent Trap (1998)

lindsay lohan GIF by Nick At NiteGiphy

Nothing could have prepared me for how in love I fell the first time I saw Nick Parker in this film. Absolutely still has me perplexed. This movie gave us so many incredible talents, most notably launching the career of one of my favorite actresses growing up, Lindsay Lohan. There is not another movie that feels more like a warm hug. The 1998 version dances circles around the 1961 version. I am sorry, only one of those films has Lisa Ann Walter.

In Bruges (2008)

Colin Farrell Idk GIFGiphy

I watched this movie for the first time while I was on a rather terrifying date in the Hollywood Hills where I had zero cell service and had no choice but to enjoy it. Luckily, this man's one good trait was the ability to pick a good movie! So many actors I love are in this film, so many incredibly funny moments, and a newfound desire to move to a place I didn't know existed beforehand.

Accepted (2006)

Justin Long Movie GIFGiphy

Justin Long can do no wrong. He doesn't make bad career moves, but by far the best was "Accepted." I have seen this movie so many times I could easily recite the script, It's that good. Jonah Hill and Justin Long were meant to share the screen, their off-screen friendship comes through beautifully.

I am still salty that this college isn't a real-life place, maybe then I would have furthered my education.

Her (2013)

joaquin phoenix her movie GIFGiphy

'Her' makes me ugly cry, everytime, without fail. It's such a sweet, beautiful movie that is the prime example of why I will always love Joaquin Phoenix. I just pretend he never made "The Joker" because that movie is god awful and should have stayed in the writers room. Sorry to upset straight toxic men everywhere.

Looney Tunes: Back in Action (2003)

'Looney Tunes: Back in Action' is by all accounts a perfect film. The half animation, as to not lose the magic of the Looney Tunes, and the live-action, as to not lose the magic of Brendan Fraser, is the perfect mix. I show this movie to everyone, and everyone loves it, it's a light-hearted watch. Let’s be real, I would watch anything Brendan was in, I just love that man.

The Lovely Bones (2009)

"The Lovely Bones" will ruin your whole day after watching, so don't go in thinking you're getting an easy watch. This movie is heavy and quite disturbing. But, the movie does something that all the best movies do, evoke intense emotion. I remember the first time I watched "The Lovely Bones" and I got full-body chills, and was so uncomfortable, and sad the whole time. Saoirse Ronan played the hell out of this role, as did Stanley Tucci, who I saw in my nightmares for months.

The Edge of Seventeen (2016)

woody harrelson mr bruner GIFGiphy

"The Edge of Seventeen" is a severely underrated movie. It's almost scary how accurate the portrayal of depression we see in Nadine is in the film. Being erratic, genuinely feeling like you don't exist in your own body, feeling like the world is against you, even with no evidence to suggest that is the case. It all checks out. Blake Jenner is the one thing that taints this movie's greatness, but at least we have the rest of the incredible cast, especially Hailee Steinfeld and Woody Harrelson.

The Wizard of Oz (1939)

Wizard Of Oz Comedy GIFGiphy

Arguably, "The Wizard of Oz" is the most universally loved film of all time. You won't meet anyone that says it's a bad movie, and if they do they are just trying to be an ass. Judy Garland was one of the greatest talents that the world will ever see, and we have this performance that puts most others to shame forever memorialized. People young and old will never stop coming back to "The Wizard of Oz" it's THE classic.

The Shining (1980)

I was late to the game of being completely obsessed with "The Shining" and the two lead performances. Stephen King has an ability to draw me into horror movies that is completely singular to him. The world's he creates become about so much more than a jump scare, there is a deeper story with this movie that we are so lucky we get to see continue with 'Doctor Sleep.'

Yours, Mine and Ours (2005)

My step-dad was in the Navy, my mom's name is Helen, and we are a blended family of five, so this movie really just felt like a home video. Plus, Sean Faris is in it, and hey, I am only human, he's quite a visual treat. Whenever I am missing my siblings or my dad, I turn this on and it's like a little slice of childhood and happy things.

The Santa Clause (1994)

the santa clause smile GIFGiphy

I told someone the other day how much I loved "The Santa Clause" and their exact response was "The Santa Clause > Citizen Kane" which couldn't be more true. This film is all things comfort and nostalgia rolled up into a package with a Tim Allen bow. I watch it all year long and don't trust anyone who doesn't put this film in the conversation of the greatest Christmas movies to have ever been made.

Together Together (2021)

I couldn't find a gif anywhere on the internet for this movie. 'Together Together' is a perfect film. It has light-hearted, funny moments, and the writers allowed these characters to exist without feelings getting involved. I was so relieved that they didn't allow Anna to fold on her boundaries and date someone that was obviously not what she wanted. Ed Helms, as always, killed this role and showed his potential as a leading man outside of just being "the funny guy".

Knives Out (2019)

chris evans eat shit GIFGiphy

I do not think I have ever been as attracted to someone on screen as I was to Chris Evans during his scenes in 'Knives Out.' The movie itself is nothing short of one of my favorite watches of the last few years. I genuinely didn't see the ending coming, and laughed out loud so many times. 'Knives Out' had every element I want out of a movie, and I am so happy we're getting a sequel with Daniel Craig returning.

Beetlejuice (1988)

80s event GIF by BBQ FilmsGiphy

If we actually get a sequel starring both Winona and Michael you will never hear me shut up about it. 'Beetlejuice' is easily the greatest Tim Burton film, and it's not close. You have to have the mind of a mastermind to put this together. Every single element works perfectly, from the Harry Belafonte songs, to the town where they shot the film, to the impeccable casting, to making it a clear comedy. Pure genius.

A Wrinkle in Time (2018)

Reese Witherspoon Oprah GIF by Walt Disney StudiosGiphy

If I ever mention a "golden trio" I want to make it clear that I am talking about Mindy, Oprah, and Reese in 'A Wrinkle in Time.' I saw this film twice in theaters and ugly cried both times when the kids are reunited with their dad, it's such a beautiful, tender moment. This is one of the greatest modern-age Disney projects, both because of the story and how visually stunning the movie is.

Return to Oz (1985)

Return To Oz Wheelers GIF by MANGOTEETHGiphy

Someone at Disney was real sick for making this as a sequel to one of the most beloved films of all time, but I love them for it. I ALMOST prefer this movie to the original, almost. Dorothy has shock therapy, there are the creepiest creatures (Wheeler) and there's a queen who keeps heads of people she decapitated in cases to wear them as her own, it's a real whirlwind of a movie. Aside from being slightly disturbing, it's a comfort movie for me and I have seen it a solid million times.

Jaws (1975)

jaws GIF by ChallengerGiphy

Yes, 'Jaws' is a safe, basic choice, but it's one of the most famous films of all time for a reason! Is it scary per-say? No, but it's almost a comfort movie in a way. Reminds me of growing up, of trips to Universal Studios, and of my undying love for shark movies with terrible special effects and mechanical sharks.

Just a side note, but 'Jaws 3D' gets shit for no reason, it has a young 20s, Dennis Quaid! What more could you ask for?

Where'd You Go, Bernadette (2019)

Tired Cate Blanchett GIF by Where’d You Go BernadetteGiphy

Cate Blanchett brought one of my favorite book characters to life so beautifully. This movie is a story of self-discovery, and just makes me feel good. They certainly did the book justice, and didn't add any unnessacary filler. The film, while it does have elements of struggle with a sense of self, isn't heavy and is a pretty easy watch.

The Age of Adaline (2015)

blake lively lionsgate GIF by The Age of AdalineGiphy

I just watched 'The Age of Adaline' last night for the second time, so it's fresh on my mind. Maybe that's how it ended up here in the first place, but this movie makes me feel things. You could tell the moment Adaline saw Ellis that it was a meant-to-be moment, there's no doubt about it. Blake Lively brings such emotion to this role and made me bawl multiple times. It's a bit of a heavy movie, but with so much pay-off.

La La Land (2016)

Emma Stone Love GIF by eOneFilmsGiphy

Any film that romanticizes Los Angeles in the same way I do, is going to be an instant favorite. I was so swept up in the idea of meeting the most handsome stranger, in the most beautiful place, and falling in love, there is such an allure there. 'La La Land' is such a stellar project, from the film itself to the soundtrack, nothing was a miss.

The Fundamentals of Caring (2016)

the fundamentals of caring GIF by NETFLIXGiphy

I know Netflix originals can get a bad rep, but 'The Fundamentals of Caring' completely goes against the grain. It stars Paul Rudd (swoon) and Craig Roberts in what I consider to be one of my favorite modern performances in a movie. Selena Gomez is also in the film and smashes it, I wish more people spoke about what a stellar actress she is. I laughed, I cried, and left watching this movie feeling like I needed to appreciate the simple things in life a bit more.

The Lord of the Rings (Collective) (2001-2003)

sad the lord of the rings GIFGiphy

I am a tried and true 'Harry Potter' fan and had always steered clear of the 'Lord of the Rings' films in fear I'd find them too similar, but man, I am so glad I gave these movies a chance. I watched them within two days and fell so in love with this world (not like I needed another film series to geek out over) there is just something about a good fantasy movie that allows you to escape from your problems for a bit. I did watch 'The Hobbit' films as well, we really only needed one, why they made three is beyond me.

He's Just Not That Into You (2009)

justin long friend GIFGiphy

Like I said earlier, I worship the ground Justin Long walks on. So 'He's Just Not That Into You' was always going to find its place on this list. This film is honestly one big call out to girls like me who desperately need to hear it, if a guy is into you, you'll know. Even though it's a tough pill to swallow, I have always come back to this movie anytime I need a good dose of a rom-com.

The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005)

steve carell clapping GIFGiphy

The 40-Year-Old Virgin is one of the greatest comedies of all time, it's not debatable. Steve Carrell shows in this film that he is meant to be a leading man, and the fact that he's not the typical "romantic lead" stereotype doesn't take away from his performance one bit. Everything about this movie I love, from Seth Rogan to the Kelly Clarkson shoutout, it's all brilliant.

Wedding Crashers (2005)

9. "Wedding Crashers"

Somehow I just saw this movie for the first time last year?? Look, for most of my life, I have been busy watching anything with Hilary Duff at the forefront. But, now that I have seen 'Wedding Crashers,' I would say it's easily a top 10 comedy. I don't often find Owen Wilson to be the most tolerable, but the pairing of him and the love of my life, Vince Vaughn, it's lightning in a bottle. Anytime I just want to laugh until my stomach hurts this is the movie I put on.

Scooby-Doo (2002)

Scooby Doomedia2.giphy.com

'Scooby-Doo' might just be one of the best-casted movies I have ever seen. I mean come on, Sarah Michelle Gellar? Freddie Prinze Jr? Matthew Lillard? Linda Cardellini? You're going to tell me I am wrong? Aside from the casting, 'Words To Me' performed by Sugar Ray is a top 5 song from a soundtrack. It just hits.

The bag was seriously fumbled by not making Spooky Island into an actual theme park. I would go at least monthly.

The Princess Bride (1987)

9. "The Princess Bride."imgur

I recently had to go back and re-watch 'The Princess Bride' because I knew there had to be something I was missing, of course, there was. This film lives up to all of the hype, this is the one time I will admit that I was wrong. I formally apologize to all my friends I have silently judged while they spoke about this movie.