18 Movies For 18 Years

18 Movies For 18 Years

The most influential movies of my time

1837
18 Movies For 18 Years
quotesgram

In a world with so much media and entertainment, we are all influenced by different forms of art: books, TV shows, and, of course, movies. Throughout my life, I have been influenced by the following movies, that I believe everyone should be exposed to at some point in their life.

1. The Wizard of Oz

I’m not completely sure what drew me to this movie, but I not only watched it more times than anybody else would’ve wanted to, I dressed up as Dorothy for Halloween. Twice. Though I was able to wear the same dress, the Toto I carried with me was not the same. The first Toto was actually a plush cat that was too furry and tangled to distinguish as a cat. For the second Toto, I got the plush dog

2. 101 Dalmatians

This is still my favorite Disney movie (non-princess because Disney movies require two categories) and this inspired not only my love for dogs but my love for Dalmatians. And, because of this love, the first puppy I got when I was five was a Dalmatian (which we named “Bogey” because my dad loved golf and was not ecstatic about getting a new dog. In his defense, he is allergic to pet hair and, as we quickly found out, Dalmatians shed a lot. Now, at 13 (human) years old, he still sheds, but I still love him and the movie that inspired us to get him.

3. Barbie and the Nutcracker

It is very hard to choose a favorite of the Barbie movies, but if I had to, it would be the Barbie and the Nutcracker. It truly wasn’t Christmas for me until I watched this movie with the dancing fairies and mouse soldiers. I can’t remember the last time I saw it or many of the details, but I remember that watching it felt like magic.

4. Grease

This is another movie I made everyone watch over and over even if they didn’t want to. I loved the humor and the romance, but most of all, I LOVED the songs. I could, and still can, sing every word to every song and am not ashamed to do so when I hear them.

5. Jaws

I was introduced to this at far too young an age and maybe for that reason or for some reason genetically encoded into my brain, I am now horribly afraid of sharks. They are, in fact, my biggest fear. So, thank you, Steven Spielberg, and your huge mechanical shark for giving sharks a bad name and scary children everywhere.

6. Jurassic Park

Thank you, Steven Spielberg, for your huge mechanical dinosaurs that did not scare me but rather inspired my love for the prehistoric reptiles. When I wasn’t playing with Barbies or American Girls, I was playing with my collection of dinosaur toys, so thank you, Spielberg and your world of dinosaurs that inspired a love that still lives on.

7. The Land Before Time

Another less violent movie to inspire my love of dinosaurs, The Land Before Time, was a classic series that I believe everyone should be exposed to. Not only did it feature the adorable dinosaur characters, it taught valuable lessons akin to those that all childrens’ movies teach but with a cute prehistoric spin.

8. Scream

Ah, the movie that started my love for horror movies and an appreciation for the classic slasher flick. This movie was seriously perfect and made me realize that horror movies aren’t just for Halloween.

9. John Tucker Must Die

I went through a phase in junior high where I watched this movie and the following five romantic comedies on repeat. They all had the chick flick qualities you would expect, but John Tucker Must Die really nailed the idea of girl power and not always ending up with the guy.

10. Never Been Kissed

Chick Flick #2: this one totally captured the idea of the geek getting the guy, featuring an adorably innocent Drew Barrymore and a young David Arquette.

11. 27 Dresses

Chick Flick #3: this was the rise of Katherine Heigl’s movie career and I absolutely loved it. Not only did it feature weddings, it featured the adorable and charming (though kind of jerky in this movie) James Marsden.

12. He’s Just Not That into You

Chick Flick #4: this one featured way too many amazing stars to list out but my favorite was Justin Long and his character, the advice-giving bartender who ends up falling for the naïve and unlucky-in-love woman (played by Ginnifer Goodwin).

13. While You Were Sleeping

Chick Flick #5: I found this one on the Hallmark channel late at night and found out that it is one of Hallmark’s favorite movies to play. Well, luckily for them, it turned out to be one of my favorite movies to watch. I guess I just have a thing for girls not getting the guy they originally think they want, but rather someone they meet along the way. (Or is that just how all romantic comedies are?)

14. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

Chick Flick #6: I realize that it seems kind of shallow that so many romantic comedies have made this list, but I feel like they really did impact my life in some way. This one, and the rest of them, taught me to be strong, dorky, and even a little obsessive (as long, as Kate Hudson taught me, I am not downright crazy) and, of course, to believe in love.

15. Twilight

Okay, so I’m not going to lie and say that everyone else is wrong and this is the best movie in the world. It’s not. I know that. It would not even make the list had I not been so obsessed with the books and the story it tells. So, as many cringes as this title probably got (and as many people that probably stopped reading right here) it still makes the list and I still love it.

16. Tangled

Finally, my favorite Disney princess movie. Obviously, this was not my favorite as a child since it did not come out until I was 13, but it has been my favorite ever since I saw it and I know it would have been had I seen it as a child. It truly is the greatest love story Disney has ever told and it was one of the most beautiful and charming films I have ever seen.

17. The Ringer

This was definitely not one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen, nor is it even close. However, it is probably the most hilarious. I know who to trust most quickly by who recognizes when I quote The Ringer. It’s that good.

18. Dead Poets Society

My all-time favorite movie, I cannot possibly give one reason why this movie is so amazing. Robin Williams was, of course, awesome; the characters are relatable, funny, and endearing; the setting (a strict all-boys’ boarding school) is a wonderland for all creative minds; and the story it tells is sad, controversial, and honest in every way. Carpe diem.