Is Cuffing Season Really A Thing?

Is Cuffing Season Really A Thing?

All of us singles trying to find our partner for the holiday season.

81
Is Cuffing Season Really A Thing?

As Michael Buble plays in the background, we are holding hands under a 1,000 snowflakes falling down onto us. As I continue to sip on my warm peppermint latte, I then look up and see a mistletoe. I start to lean in to kiss him and right before it happens all I hear is "BEEP BEEP BEEP." Well, thank you, alarm clock for ruining for my perfect fairytale.

Yes, ladies and gents cuffing season is here and you know what that means, cuddles by the fireplace, ice skating under a million sparkling lights, Christmas tree decorating, cute adventures around the town as the snow falls onto your faces, and our favorite the mistletoe.

But are we setting our standards too high? I never really understood cuffing season and why people felt the need to find someone to be with just for the holiday season. It's typically right after Halloween and goes until after valentine's day is over.

As this time started sneaking around the corner I began to see more and more couples from around campus. So I guess that means cuffing season has finally arrived. If you don't know what cuffing season means, it is a time during the months of late October through February where people feel the need to find their boo for the holiday season. And yes I am being serious, this is actually a thing that us millennials do. We are all looking for that person to ignite the holiday spirit and just make it that much better. I have had my fair share of cuffing season and yes, of course, it feels good to have someone to share the holiday months with. But why do we feel the need to find someone just for the short term?

I know most of you are probably reading this thinking that I am crazy and that I think I'm too independent of a woman to want a man, but no of course not. Being with someone makes you happy and gives you that feeling that no one else can give you. But I don't think we should rush into something just because we want someone to have by our side for the holidays. Love isn't just present during the holiday seasons, it is present during every day and every hour. Love is a very strong concept in our world today and we all desire for that love that can be written down on pages for a story that makes history, but in reality love happens at the most random times in our lives and I think that's the beauty of it, so why rush it and do something just for the temporary feeling?

To my readers, I hope that you know you're beautiful, intelligent, courageous, and unique in every way, but just remember you don't need a partner to tell you that. You don't need a partner to do fun things with, just remember you have people who care about you, like friends and family. Go ice skating with your mama or dad, go bake cookies with all your girlfriends, go snowboarding with some of your bros, but just remember you don't need a man or women to make you happy.

So to all my readers who are single right now, remember you don't need to be cuffed this season, I promise you that someone will come into your life when the time is right. So promise me this season that you will go out and have fun with friends and family and when you see that adorable couple kissing by the beautiful tree, don't dwell or reminisce on the past, just remember that your time will come and it will be with the one that you actually want to spend the holidays with.

Have a very happy holiday's everyone and remember that you're worth all the love in the world and your time will come! So I think it is time to go grab a cup of hot cocoa and sit by the fireplace with loved ones and listen to Christmas music. Now doesn't that sound amazing? So get going, go be happy, you don't need a partner to do that.

Happy Chanukah, Merry Christmas, and Happy Kwanzaa!

XOXO ~ Rachel Willow Levy