Baby, It's Cuffing Season
relationships

Baby, It's Cuffing Season...

Are you single? If so, statistics say it won't be for long.

131
Personal Photo
Reese Walker

If you haven't heard of cuffing season by now, you should start doing your research if you're looking for an S.O. Cuffing season is the time of year when fall really starts to set in, that everyone starts dating.

People just couple up in mass amounts and hug each other. Okay, maybe not exactly like that, but there is a significant spike in couple-doms during the late fall, early winter season. There are a few theories as to why this is, so I'm here to share a few of them with you. Buckle up kids, and take notes.

Here are reasons people get cuffed in the winter, as told by Dean Martin's, "Baby, It's Cold Outside"...

Baby, It's Cold Outside

One of the main theories as to why so many people pair up together during the winter months is that the weather just pushes them together.

Honestly, I think this one is pretty plausible, though I think it is more general than romantic relationships. I know during winter and fall I'm way more apt to cuddle with my friends than I am in the 90-degree heat of summer when we're splayed out on the beach to bake.

So sure, cold weather drives people together, though not always in a romantic way. Nevertheless, this could be a plausible cause.

"Look out the Window at This Dawn"

Finding a lyric from the song about shorter days was a stretch... but I think I managed it. So another argument is that because the days are shorter and darker, people are pushed together.

I personally don't find a lot of validity in this one, though it does push people inside more? I guess if you argue that point then you have a reason. Logically, the days get darker earlier which enables people to find shelter more times than not.

"But Maybe Just Half a Drink More"

If you don't think people drink more during the winter, you really need to meet more alcoholics. I'm sure I could find many statistics showing how people drink and purchase more wine during winter.

I might have to write a whole other article debating this topic.

But aside from that, social drinking is a staple of winter, and there's no questioning how much... friendlier people get when they've had something to drink. I think out of all the reasons, this one seems the most plausible to me. People like to drink, and the only thing they like more than drinking is doing it with other people.

"Say Lend Me a Coat"

Winter, but more specifically, Christmas, is the season of giving. And giving inevitable leads to the long list of people you have to give things to.

I think Christmas enables us to highlight the people we care about, and it's a non-awkward way to do it. giving season and cuffing season kind of go hand in hand. Giving season forces us to make a leap of faith and tell people how we feel through gifts.

"I Wish I Knew How to Break This Spell"

Inevitably, the biggest contender for cuffing season is the thought of cuffing season. People know that people are coupling up, so they're more apt to couple up.

Cuffing season puts on peoples radars and makes them really start looking for a significant other. If you know about cuffing season, you will unintentionally look for someone to hitch yourself to.

It's something we can't avoid as a human being, but just make sure you don't make your decisions hastily.

Phew, that was equal parts fun and challenging. If you really want to understand the true heart of cuffing season, just go listen to the song, seriously.

"Baby, It's Cold Outside" encapsulates the true feeling of new love in the winter months, and Frank Sinatra covered it, so you already have two good reasons to listen.

Go out, listen, and be cuffed!