How To Keep Your Cuffing Season Flame Lit Even After Cuffing Season

When the weather gets cold, nobody wants to stay single.

122
cc_chapman / Flickr

You may be asking yourself what "cuffing season" is, exactly. The top definition for "cuffing season" on Urban Dictionary is:

"During the Fall and Winter months, people who would normally rather be single or promiscuous find themselves along with the rest of the world desiring to be "cuffed" or tied down by a serious relationship. The cold weather and prolonged indoor activity causes singles to become lonely and desperate to be cuffed" (Urban Dictionary).

Unfortunately, my current relationship has started during cuffing season and so did my last relationship, so here are some tips to get y'all staying together even when cuffing season is over and the weather starts to get warmer:

1. Always make time for each other whenever possible

Even if you two lead very busy schedules, it's necessary to make time for each other whether it's a quick text saying how much you appreciate the person or a quick phone call to talk about y'all's day.

2. Always make sure to resolve conflict

My boyfriend and I occasionally get into small disagreements over some things (which is difficult with being long distance), but we never go to bed without working it out. We both take blame for our actions rather than blaming the other person.

3. Don't let past relationships define you

This is a tough one for me personally, but you need to let go of past heartbreaks and trust your significant other in order to make things work. You need to not let what your exes have done to you in the past get in your way of falling for someone again.

4. Try your best not to let little things bother you

Personally, I'm trying to work on not being jealous of things I see on social media, such as my boyfriend getting comments on his facebook posts or liking other girls' Instagram photos. You need to realize you are getting mad at things that don't really matter in the long run and try your best to not let it get to you if you want things to work out.

5. Keep things interesting

From giving each other gifts, going out on dates, and sending each other Snapchat selfies to keep your snap streak going — it's the little things that will make your relationship flourish.

6. Be your partner's biggest supporter

From being proud that they got out of bed to go out of class to getting excited that they got an A on their exam, make sure you are there to cheer on your significant other no matter what the accomplishment is. #powercouple

7. Always be open and honest about how you are feeling

I know that I can get stressed out often and it definitely puts a damper on my mood towards my honey. It definitely helps if I tell him what is stressing me out throughout the day so he knows what is bothering me so that he can help me out in the best way that he can. It also gives an explanation for why I may be short or not answering as quickly as I usually do.

8. Take some interest in what they are interested in

It helps to have something in common but, even if you don't, try to take some interest in what your significant other likes. For example, my honey likes alternative music so I try my best to have an open mind and listen to what he wants to listen to and he listens to country music with me as well.

9. Try to get along with their family and friends

I've already had the pleasure to meet his dad and stepmom. Relationships will only work if you get along with the parents as well and are able to hang out with their group of friends.

10. Make sure you are an individual in the relationship and grow separately as well as together

It's important to make sure that you don't lose yourself within a relationship and having individual identities will only make you both happy in the long run as well as not as dependent on each other leading to a happy and healthy relationship.