What I've Learning About My Long Distance Relationship Since Coming to College

What I've Learning About My Long-Distance Relationship Since Coming To College

Long distance relationships can be tough, but hopefully these tips will help you out.

118

As a college student, life can be really stressful. With exams, essays, and homework, things can seem like a lot to juggle. Not to mention that you still have to eat and sleep on top of that.

With a lot on a student's plate, it can seem like there's no room for a social life. Friendships can become tricky to manage. Especially a romantic one.

About a month before I came to college, I had been in a relationship with my boyfriend for almost a year. I ended up choosing to go to a university about an hour and 20 minutes away from home, and he stayed home, going to community college. We decided to not break up, unlike lots of couples do when they go off to college.

During the first couple of months away, adjusting was a bit tough. We had to adjust to being away from each other for weeks at a time, and being at work or school all day. Sometimes our schedules wouldn't match up, or there would be days that we would text without ever talking on the phone.

These struggles were hard to work out, but we eventually found ways to make things work. So, to anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation, here's what has worked for us.

1. We make sure that we know each other's schedules.

By knowing what time the other was in class, or at work, we are able to figure out times to talk on the phone or video chat. It also helps us know that one of us isn't trying to purposefully the other.

2. We try to talk on the phone at least once a day.

For our relationship, it helped ease the pain of missing each other a little bit more manageable. We were able to see or hear each other's voice; that helped me out a lot.

3. We have good communication.

My boyfriend and I try to share everything with each other, as much as possible. Even though that might not work for some couples, having open communication is a key thing for us.

4. We try to make an equal effort to see each other.

This one is a tricky one to balance since we both have different means of getting around. He will take the train and come to see me, or I'll drive back home to see him. We try to make this one work, but I'll admit, we still need some fixing on this part.

5. When we do see each other, we make the most out of it.

Seeing each other after a few weeks of being away is like a breath of fresh air for us. We try to spend every moment together that we have, even if that means we can only see each other for an hour or two.

At times, it has not been easy to juggle school, work, and a relationship. There have been times where I've wanted to quit because it seemed like I couldn't handle all three things at once. But I know that this relationship is worth sticking through it, and I know that the end result will be rewarding.