12 Pros And Cons To Being Single In College
relationships

Single Doesn't Necessarily Mean Ready To Mingle, Here Are 12 Pros And Cons To Being Single In College

Sanity - 1, Cuddles - 0

389
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKjcdePArhw

Ever since, like, 6th grade, we've all been exposed to "dating." It started out as simply holding hands in the hallway and leaving notes in each other's lockers, but now we're out here really looking for "life partners."

A lot of the time, films, shows, books and other forms of entertainment seem to go out of their way to emphasize romantic relationships. Why do we romanticize romance so much? I don't know, but this is just a reminder that being in a romantic relationship is cool, but it's also cool to be single.

1. PRO - You save money during the holiday season.

Who wants to exchange nice, thoughtful gifts, anyway? We're all broke in college.

2. CON - You don't have anyone to cuddle with every night.

This especially sucks in the winter, but it's also disappointing any time you snuggle up with a blanket to watch a movie. Alone. For, what, the third time this week?

3. PRO - You don't have to deal with relationship stress.

Oh no, is my partner thinking about breaking up with me? Haha, SIKE! No partner to see here.

But seriously, it's nice to have at least one aspect of life that you don't have to expend mental energy on constantly. This is especially helpful in college—classes and homework are soul-sucking enough.

4. CON - You don't have anyone with whom you can share relationship memes.

You also can't really relate to a lot of them, but they're so funny. The only solution is to start stockpiling memes so that when a romantic partner does come along, you can unload your vast digital store into their DMs. #relationshipgoals

5. PRO - You don't have to feel guilty about wanting alone time.

Obviously a worthy romantic partner would never make you feel guilty for needing some alone time every now and again, but that doesn't mean the guilt isn't there. You know you need to take some time for yourself, but what if your partner is going through a hard time and you don't know it? What if they really wanted to spend time with you today?

You don't have to worry about anyone but you when you're riding solo.

6. CON - Sometimes you have to celebrate your small victories alone.

Sure, we all have friends with whom we can share important things. Sometimes, though, you just need to celebrate with passionate kisses, and your best friend might not be super open to making out with you. Plus, a friend might not realize you've had an ongoing battle with one of your toenails and therefore won't understand the relief you felt after finally fixing it last night.

But hey, flip side, you don't have to tearfully admit to your partner that you just made a D in biology.

7. PRO - You can make plans with only your own aspirations in mind.

Relationships are all about compromise, and college is one period in your life when you really need to focus on your own goals more than anything else. It's nice to plan a life for yourself without having to take someone else's preferences into consideration—if you want to move across the country after graduation, you're free to go. This freedom allows you to really understand what you want for yourself, and that will ensure that you don't give up on your own aspirations when you do get into a romantic relationship.

8. CON - You have to buy your own food EVERY TIME you go out.

Sure, again, relationships are about compromise. You have to pay for the date sometimes, too. But wouldn't it be nice to occasionally enjoy your favorite cuisine without emptying your bank account? College towns really are out here trying to squeeze every last dollar out of us.

9. PRO - You can fantasize about whomever you want.

Yeah, that big-time Hollywood actor would look great in your bed. And yeah, you can think about that all day long, totally guilt-free.

10. CON - Sometimes you just have to be the third wheel.

Sure, you're lonely af. But some of your friends actually have girl/boyfriends, and you can't just not hang out with them. Time to learn how to cope with watching their longing gazes and not-low-key kisses.

11. PRO - You can pick the movie for your personal movie nights.

One plus to being alone is getting to make literally all your own decisions, not just future-wise but everyday things, too. If you wanna watch a chick flick or an action movie for the 40th time this month, you go right ahead. Ain't nobody gonna stop you now.

12. CON - Let's be honest, sometimes you just get lonely.

Your friends are all busy studying (or spending time with their significant others, ew), your parents are at work, and you're sitting by yourself in the library, looking at the couple getting all cuddly beside the nearest bookshelf. Why are they doing that here? You don't know, but it sure does feel lonely all of a sudden, doesn't it?

Yeah, sometimes being single sucks. But maybe, just maybe, we shouldn't so readily condemn the state of being single. It definitely has its perks, especially if you're still in college. Next time you feel sad and lonely, just remember: you can eat milk duds and watch "13 Going on 30" as often as you want and there won't be anyone there to judge you. Woo, freedom!