27 Taylor Swift Songs To Get You Through A Breakup

Someday you won’t remember, this pain you thought would last forever and ever

10610
VH1.com
"So, I think we should break up."

It's a sentence no girl ever wants to hear being said by the person they thought loved them. Dealing with a breakup is hard and I wish I could tell you it gets easier, but every person deals with it differently. If there's one person who knows how to do it though it's Taylor Swift. You can say what you want about her, and you don't even have to like her. But you can't deny that the girl knows how to write a killer breakup song. Whether it's a witty one-liner or an emotional ballad you scream at the top of your lungs, she has a song for every type of emotion you're feeling. So in honor of her 27 years of existence on this planet (and incredible songwriting), here are 27 Taylor Swift songs to get through a breakup.

1. Picture to Burn

This is the perfect song to listen to if a guy has messed with you one too many times and you've finally had enough of it. Go ahead, don't hold back. Let your anger and frustration out girl.

"So watch me strike a match on all my wasted time."

2. I Knew You Were Trouble

Even though your friends and family warned you about him, you didn't listen because you thought you could change his "bad boy" ways. We've all been there and soon you'll realize it wasn't your fault for the relationship ending but him for leading you on and not treating you right.

"He was long gone when he met me, and I realize the joke is on me."

3. Better Than Revenge

One of the worst parts about a breakup is when he gets with another girl right away. Especially if he introduced you to that person as one of his "closest friends." You question whether he even liked you or not. This song is a warning to the new girl that she better watch out.

"You might have him but I always get the last word."

4. Forever & Always

This song describes how a guy who at first says they will always be with you, and then something changes. Now every time you're with him you can start to see him slowly drift away. But once it's over you're still hurt and in disbelief because you don't know what went wrong with the relationship for that to happen.

"I looked into your eyes, thought I knew you for a minute, now I'm not so sure."

5. The Story Of Us

Seeing your ex in public for the first time sucks because you don't know how to act around each other. Do you acknowledge them? Ignore them? This song shows that no matter what you choose to do, it's still going to be awkward. But you have to ultimately do what's best for you in that situation and move on.

"I'd tell you I miss you, but I don't know how. I've never heard silence quite this loud."

6. Mean

Shout out to the boys who have nothing but insults to say. Being a jerk and constantly putting you down is never alright. You deserve better than that.

"You have pointed out my flaws again, as if I don't already see them."

7. Red

With any breakup, you're bound to feel a wave of different emotions come crashing down on you all at once. This song takes you through them all from the good times during the relationship to the bad times after it ends.

"Remembering him comes in flashbacks and echoes. Tell myself it's time now gotta let go."

8. All You Had To Do Was Stay

Here's to the guys who were never willing to commit to the relationship, the title speaks for itself. It's that simple.

"People like you always want back the loved they pushed aside. But people like me are gone forever when you say goodbye."

9. Wonderland

A bonus track from the album "1989," this song takes you through a toxic relationship. It shows that you don't always get to stay in those happy times without there being consequences.

"You search the world for something else to make you feel like what we had. And in the end in wonderland we both went mad."

10. Out Of The Woods

This song describes the anxieties of being in a relationship where you constantly wonder whether or not it's going to last. You feel like you're never on solid ground, just waiting for it to end. But even though the relationship was fragile and full of anxiety, doesn't mean it wasn't beautiful and worth it while it lasted.

"We were built to fall apart then fall back together."

11. Teardrops On My Guitar

What's just as worse as a breakup is being stuck in the friend zone with a guy you have such strong feelings for. This song is for all the girls pining for the guy who either doesn't know you exist or only sees you as a friend.

"So I drive home alone, as I turn out the light. I'll put his picture down and maybe get some sleep tonight."

12. Fifteen

High school can be such a confusing time in your life, especially when it comes to relationships. This song describes how when you're young and in love, you'll believe anything a guy says to you. He'll tell you he loves you and makes you feel like you're the most important person in his life. In the end, though, he doesn't turn out to be the person you thought and you're left both confused and devastated because you gave everything to him and he took you for granted.

"And when you're fifteen, don't forget to look before you fall."

13. You're Not Sorry

This is for all the guys who mistreat and use girls then try to apologize for doing it all the time. We know you don't mean it, therefore we're not accepting your apologies anymore.

"And it's taken me this long baby but I figured you out. And you're thinking we'll be fine again but not this time around."

14. I Almost Do

Moving on from the pain of a breakup is not easy. This song recalls the feeling of wanting to call up a guy you still have feelings for but stopping yourself before you do. It's not worth going through that hurt for a second time even if you feel like you can't live without him. Like all heartache, it will pass.

"I bet it never, ever occurred to you that I can't say hello to you and risk another goodbye."

15. Perfectly Good Heart

This song asks the most important question of all during a breakup, why would you want to break my heart? Whether it's your first heartbreak or not, the thoughts and unanswered questions are still the same. Why me? What did I do to deserve this? What went wrong? Regardless, trying to mend a broken heart after it happens keeps getting harder to do.

"No matter what you say I still can't believe. That you would walk away it don't make sense to me."

16. State Of Grace

Throughout the song it details the beginning of a relationship and when you first start falling for them. It describes all the possibilities and uncertainties for how the relationship can go. Essentially, it shows how love can go from being amazing to devastating all in the blink of an eye.

"And I never saw you coming, and I'll never be the same."

17. Sad Beautiful Tragic

Maybe you had the type of breakup that you don't feel sad or angry about anymore. It's the loss that's still there in the back of your mind. This song describes looking back at something you can't change or get back.

"In dreams, I meet you in warm conversations. We both wake in lonely beds, different cities."

18. Breathe

Sometimes the most difficult part of a breakup is when it's nobody's fault for it happening. This song captures that feeling of when the end of a close relationship is broken and you're trying to push forward even though you literally feel like the wind got kicked out of you.

"People are people and sometimes we change our minds. But it's killing me to see you go after all this time."

19. Last Kiss

Even though you feel many different emotions during a breakup, the most people feel is complete and utter sadness. The sadness of losing this person, of losing the memories you two shared and all the hopes you had for the future. There comes a time when you're trying to get over that person and you have to admit to yourself that for a moment you miss all of those things. It's happened to all of us and this is the perfect song to turn up, sit on the floor and cry to.

"You can plan for a change in weather and time. But I never planned on you changing your mind."

20. White Horse

This song is the perfect example of what happens when you have high hopes for something only for it to end badly. It talks about falling in love and the fairy tales you're going to have with this person. Then there's the moment when you realize that it's not going to happen.

"Cause I'm not your princess, this ain't a fairy tale. I'm gonna find someone someday, who might actually treat me well."

21. Cold As You

One of the most underrated songs, it details the experience of being with an emotionally unavailable guy. It's that moment where you see that person isn't who you thought they were. You've been trying to make excuses for someone who doesn't deserve them. And you come to the unfortunate conclusion that some people are just never going to love you.

"And you come away with a great little story. Of a mess of a dreamer with the nerve to adore you."

22. All Too Well

Without a doubt, one of the best songs she has ever written. This emotional ballad has you reminiscing on the memories of a past relationship from start to finish. The way she wrote it though brings you back into the moments as if they're happening again right before your eyes. No wonder this song was the hardest for her to write. If you're feeling this way, don't be afraid to go for a long drive while blasting this song and singing at the top of your lungs. It's truly the only way to sing this song.

"Cause there we are again where I loved you so. Back before you lost the one real thing you've ever known."

23. Wildest Dreams

Here's a song where maybe you don't want him to forget you. You not only want him to remember you but you actually hope he remembers all the best moments after the breakup. The song expresses mixed feelings in the relationship; hoping that you guys last, but knowing it will end.

"Someday when you leave me, I bet these memories follow you around."

24. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

Better known as the ultimate breakup anthem, this song chronicles the type of relationship that is on-and-off. One minute you're together and the next you're not. Sometimes you just got to know when to quit someone who will never be willing to take the extra step in a relationship and grow up.

"Then you come around again and say, 'baby, I miss you and I swear I'm gonna change. Trust me.' Remember how that lasted for a day?"

25. New Romantics

This song shows the positive aspects of a breakup. When you realize that love is not a fairytale and the chances of a happy ending is very unlikely. It's better to live life freely and not take relationships so seriously. Having this as a mindset is a great way to get over and deal with the heartbreak.

"Heartbreak is the national anthem, we sing it proudly. We are too busy dancing. to get knocked off our feet."

26. Clean

With this song, it talks about how you can come out of a relationship and feel tarnished by it. But if you allow yourself to feel the pain instead of pretending to be in denial of it, the breakup will become easier to get over.

"When I was drowning that's when I could finally breathe. And by morning, gone was any trace of you."

27. Begin Again

This is a reminder to all the girls who went through a really bad breakup and an even worse relationship. You will get through it and you will dust yourself off and get back out there and continue to go on dates again. Of course, you're going to feel vulnerable because of what you went through in your past relationship. And you have these continuous thoughts circling around your head about why you had to meet that bad person before and why did that relationship have to happen to you. But then when you open those doors and lock eyes with the new person you're meeting for the first time, it all just clicks. Those wounds that were still fresh and showing are now healed and invisible.

"And for the first time, what's past is past."

I hope these songs are able to help someone who is dealing with any type of situation here. No matter what you're feeling or going through I want you to know that even though the world may feel like it's falling down on you, you're not alone and everything will be alright. Maybe not in this exact moment, but I promise it will happen soon. From one heartbroken girl dealing with a breakup to another, because we always stick together.