108 Reasons Why the Chicago Cubs Will Win the World Series This Year

They've clinched the division, but here's why this is only the beginning of a magical October

134
Redeye Chicago

If the summer of 2016 has taught us anything, it's that the Chicago Cubs are once again the darlings of baseball. Ever since a surprise run in 2015 that saw the North Siders make their way to the NLCS, baseball fever has swept the Windy city and will continue to do so well into the fall.

There's no denying this team is loaded, but it still has been 108 years since the Cubs last won a World Series title. In honor of that century-plus long drought, here are 108 reasons why this finally IS the year the Commissioner's Trophy will find a home at Wrigley Field and the Cubs will break the curse that is perhaps the greatest in American sports history. Deep breath? Let's go.

108. The Cubs have the best Twitter account in the MLB and that's an intangible

The @Cubs Twitter is also what inspired the intense use of GIFs throughout the rest of this list.

107. This is the best-dressed team around

Pajamas? Miami business trip? The Cubs can do it all in the fashion department. You know what they say: look good, play good.

106. "Back to the Future" was just a year off

Ok, so maybe 2015 wasn't the year as predicted in the 1985 film. But give Marty McFly a break, ok?

105. The team easily has the biggest run differential in the majors

Plus 224 is pretty good, right?

104. The city is in full support of the team

Gotta love seeing the buildings lit up along Lake Shore Drive. If the Cubs win the series, the whole city will shut down.

103. Rizzo has the swaggy-est walk-up music in baseball

"Bad Blood"? "Good Vibrations"? Rizz gets the whole park on their feet when he comes up to bat.

102. The bandwagon is full of eager supporters

Some true fans hate bandwagoners , but hey, the more fans the merrier. The team could use all the support it gets.

101. Tommy LaStella is a key lefty bat off the bench

Despite that whole weird episode with a potential retirement and minor league standoff, LaStella is back on the roster can provide a solid pinch-hitter option late in games. He's hitting .285 on the year.

100. The team has allowed the least earned runs in baseball

As great as the hitting has been in 2016, the pitching staff has been even better.

99. The Cardinals were no match last postseason

If the Cards do end up making it through the Wild Card to an NLDS rematch, the Cubs are in great position to best them again. After a Game 1 loss last year, Chicago put together a stellar run and lit up St. Louis' starters. This year, the Cubbies have only gotten better

98. The middle infield is a terrific double play combo

Zobrist to Russell? Baez to Russell? LaStella to Russell? All of the above provide excellent hands to turn two in any given situation.

97. Hammel's potato chip diet worked!

After Jason Hammel was suffering from hand cramps this season, his doctor told him to eat more potato chips for the salt water and potassium. Luckily, that diet worked and Hammel had one of his best first halves ever!

96. The Cubs have three of the top eight RBI leaders in the NL

Rizzo (101), Bryant (96) and Russell (92) are all killing it in the RBI department. It tends to help that they have each other in front of the batting order too...

95. There are few more consistent at 2nd base than Ben Zobrist

Zobrist was a fantastic offseason acquisition for the Cubs and has been excellent offensively as well as defensively. His .987 defensive fielding percentage is good for 5th best at the position in the NL and he's only made 5 errors the whole season.

94. Heyward is bound to break out eventually

Despite the fact that he's been lackluster at the plate for the majority of the season, there are signs that Jason Heyward might break out of his year-long slump soon. The last week he's been hitting .353 and in the last two weeks of 2015 he was hitting .439. Could it be that he's bound for a breakout playoffs?

93. Addison Russell has been on fire since the All-Star break

After a rather lackluster first half that still warranted Russell an NL All-Star selection, Addy has heated up with 41 RBIs since the break. Hopefully there are more "vroom, vroom" moments this postseason.

92. The Schwarber home run ball from last year's NLDS is a good luck charm

Remember this moon shot? It is forever encased at the top of the right field video board. While Kyle may not be playing this season, it's a reminder that the Cubs have done some big things before.

91. Kris Bryant leads the NL in WAR

You know you've got an MVP candidate on your hands when a guy's wins above replacement is 7.3, the highest in the National League. There's no one this team would rather have at the position than KB.

90. Steve Bartman is still in hiding

Seriously, poor guy. But at least there will be no foul ball interferences this postseason.

89. The clubhouse is tight and has veteran leadership

Lackey and Ross provide that intangible experience factor and Rizzo is the leader of the young guns. A team that wins together is tight, and that's exactly what these boys do.

88. A division title means avoiding the dangerous Wild Card game

Because they've won the division, the Cubs won't have to play in the sudden-death Wild Card game like they did last year. This is huge as it gives the guys extra rest and a safety net if they have a bad game.

87. Miggy and everyone else knows that #WeAreGood

Last season, Montero coined the hashtag #WeAreGood and it seems to have stuck. There are shirts with the saying on it and all of social media seems to have bought in. You go, Miggy.

86. The sports world is behind the Cubs

Who doesn't like a century-long underdog story? The sports world is about to rally behind the Cubs like they rallied behind the 2004 Red Sox and the 2007 New York Giants when they played the undefeated New England Patriots in the Super Bowl. America and baseball want this to happen.

85. Rizzo and Bryant are the first 30/30 HR combo since Aramis Ramirez and Derek Lee

Talk about power in the lineup – the Rizzo-Bryant combo is among the best in the majors. True Cubs fans, remember Rami and D-Lee? Well yeah, these guys are even better.

84. Heyward has a cannon in right field

While his hitting may be suspect, there's no questioning Jason Heyward's defensive skill. He has 5 outfield assists on the year and boasts a .992 fielding percentage.

83. Theo Epstein has busted curses before

Theo was the man who brought an end to the vaunted Boston Red Sox curse and now has the opportunity to do the same for the Cubbies. Despite having already turned around the franchise in just five years, there's more work to be done and Theo continues to be the perfect man for the job.

82. The team is hungry - there are only four WS winners on the roster

Lester, Ross, Lackey and Zobrist are the only world champions on the roster, which means that the remaining 21 players are all desperately hungry for a ring. This team wants a 'ship.

81. Everyone can hit homers

Think about this lineup: Fowler, Bryant, Rizzo, Soler, Zobrist, Contreras, Russell, Baez . If the Cubs choose to pull Heyward one game, every position player in the lineup (minus Contreras) has at least 12 home runs. This is not accounting for the fact that Fowler and Soler missed time to injury, Baez doesn't always start and Contreras came up halfway through the season. This team has some pop.

80. If the Cubs face the Mets, the NY pitching staff is not fully healthy

No more Harvey or deGrom, and Syndergaard and Matz are questionably healthy. With the core of the Mets' staff gone, it's hard to see them repeating last year's success in the postseason.

79. Also, Daniel Murphy isn't on the team anymore (well, he's still on the Nationals...)

The death of the Cubs has at least been relocated...well to the next closest contender in the NL.

78. We can expect many K-Booms this October

Serving up dingers on demand.

77. Jon Lester is a clutch bunter

Remember how Lester has a walk-off bunt in the 12th to beat the Mariners? That type of skill could prove clutch in an important mid-game situation where he's still dealing on the mound.

76. This team has a year of playoff experience

The Cubs learned what it takes to go when they were swept in the 2015 NLCS, and they will have last year's lessons from the postseason in mind when mentally preparing for this run.

75. When down, the Cubs can battle through adversity

Having dealt with key injuries, such as the one to Schwarber, the Cubs have found a way to pull through. They know how to handle themselves when things don't go their way.

74. If Almora makes the 25-man roster, the Cubs will have defensive depth in the OF

Likely won't be on the October team, but could add some depth if he does get the call.

73. Overall, the team is healthy heading into October

Minus Schwarber, everyone should be healthy by the start of the playoffs, including John Lackey and Pedro Strop. That's a big plus.

72. They boast the best team OBP in the NL

Hey the walks-to-strikeout ratio has improved since last year!

71. Javy Baez has the sexiest slide in the game

Name one other person that can maneuver their body like this.

70. Joe Maddon is one of the most brilliant minds in baseball

He's already exceeded any and all expectations. Whether it be bringing a zookeeper and his animals to practice or hiring a mariachi band on Cinco de Mayo, Joe seems to know what to do to lighten the mood. He's also pretty good at managing baseball games too.

69. Tom Rickets has earned this

The owner of the Cubs has done a magnificent job of spending big and hiring the right people to run the organization. Hopefully he gets to see all of his hard work pay off soon.

68. Hip, hip, Jorge!

Cuban-manufactured. Powerful. Energy efficient. Who doesn't like a dose of #SolerPower?

67. The Cubs are not the 2001 Seattle Mariners

The '01 Mariners tied the record for most wins in the regular season with 116. However, they lost in the ALCS and failed to make it to the World Series. The Cubs are on pace for around 100 wins but they aren't wasting their efforts going for the regular season mark (*cough cough Golden State Warriors).

66. Munenori Kawasaki provides invaluable comic relief

Mune may not make the playoff roster, but who doesn't love this guy?

65. Without Schwarber, the Cubs are better defensively in the outfield

As you may remember, Kyle Schwarber was a defensive liability in the outfield last season. While the team certainly misses his bat, they will be better off defensively with a Contreras/Coghlan/Sczcur in left .

64. The team strikeouts are down from last year

And the walks are up!

63. The team ERA is the lowest in baseball

In case you needed another reminder of how good the pitching staff is.

62. KB looks great, and plays better

The MVP candidate picked up a deal with Express this past offseason and can be seen on billboards all over Chicagoland. We can't help but think the correlation between his playing and endorsement deals is deeply linked.

61. Wrigleyville is built for a party of the century

Last year the streets were packed after the Cubs clinched a berth of the NLCS, and it's only gonna get more crowded. This is a picture I took outside Game 4 of the NLDS last year:

60. Vegas likes the odds

As of September 5th, the Cubs have 5-2 odds in the Westgate Las Vegas Superbook to win the World Series. That's the best of any team in the majors.

59. The Cubs have four of the top ten win leaders in the National League

Arrieta. Lester. Hendricks. Hammel. They all qualify among the best winners in the NL.

58. Dexter Fowler's daughter owns Instagram, and that has to say something

How. Cute. Is. This.

57. The "Try Not To Suck" mantra is working!

The Joe Maddon coined phrase has stuck and thousands of fans are donning the slogan on their shirts. A percentage of all proceeds go to Cubs Charities and charities of Maddon's choice. Also, the team has done a good job of not sucking over the past year.

56. Hector Rondon is an elite reliever...and is the setup man

With Chapman in the closer spot, Rondon is an excellent 8th inning guy.

55. They have #PitchersWhoJake

Along with a killer mentality on the mount, Arrieta can also hit the ball, and far. Remember when Kerry Wood hit a home run in Game 7 of the 2003 NLCS? Just saying...

54. Aroldis Chapman is simply unhittable

Not only can this guy hit 105 mph on the gun, his slider can hit the low to mid-90's. Get him a lead in the 9th inning, and Chapman is going to close it out for good.

53. Even the Art Institute loves the Cubbies

Probably should have hung the W flag next to American Gothic.

52. Justin Grimm provides a quality relief arm

Underrated, yet solid. Grimm was more dominant last season (1.99 ERA) but he still provides a reliable arm out of the pen.

51. The lineup is full of lefty bats

Rizzo. Zobrist. Heyward. Montero. LaStella. This bodes well for lineup structuring against dominant righties like Max Scherzer and Stephen Strasburg.

50. It's an even year, and the Giants might not make the playoffs!

San Fran has won the World Series in 2010, 2012 and 2014, which mean's they're mathematically due for 2016. However, given a recent skid the Giants might not make the playoffs. That would be huge.

49. Just think, Jake Arrieta is the third-best starter (ERA-wise) on this team

When the reigning Cy Young winner is third among starters in ERA, that's pretty darn good.

48. Jed Hoyer has done a magnificent job building this team to last

Theo gets all the credit, but GM Jed Hoyer has had a huge role in shaping this organization for deep playoff runs.

47. Miggy Montero is heating up at the right time

Start slow, finish strong. Miggy hit a walk-off homer last weekend, which could be a sign that he's on his way back to being a consistent threat at the plate.

46. Pedro Strop is gonna be healthy and in full tilt mode

Fear not, Stropy will be fully recovered from his meniscus tear soon enough for October baseball. Can't contain that tilted hat swagger.

45. They're tied for 2nd most road wins on the season

This bodes will for away games in tough playoff environments.

44. Anthony Rizzo is an MVP-caliber slugger

A .290/31/101 slash line is one of the reasons that Rizz has become the standard of excellence at 1st base across the league. This not to mention his intangible leadership and always joking attitude.

43. And he can play defense too...

And that kid thought he was getting a souvenir.

42. The Wrigley renovations give a nice advantage

The pimped-out locker room adds an extra component of comfort, and it might be a small reason why the Cubs have the best home record in the MLB.

41. Jack Lackey brings the old-school swagger

Whether it be chewing out umpires or throwing at batters, Lackey has that old man 'get off my lawn' (or 'get out of my batter's box) mentality that gives him a competitive edge. He didn't come here for a haircut.

40. Willson Contreras is a human fireball

Every Cubs fan loves the energy and aggressive play of rookie Willy C. He's got a slingshot for an arm and serious 'umph' in his swing. His first playoffs should be a fun one to watch.

39. Jason Hammel can be used with great versatility in the playoffs

While Hammel has struggled a little more down the stretch, he could be a valuable arm out of the pen if the Cubs so choose to use him as one. After all, he was very dominant in the first half of the season.

38. Mike Montgomery can fit many different uses for Joe Maddon

The lefty filled the starting void for Lackey while he was hurt and will likely be on the playoff roster as an extra arm. Expect him to get innings and to be effective in whatever role Maddon chooses to use him.

37. Travis Wood can pitch long innings...and play left field

Speaking of lefty arms, Wood is a great asset. However, his highlight of the year didn't come on the mound, it came after a defensive substitution landed him in left field for an out. As evidenced by the GIF below, he demonstrated his worth as an outfielder, and the fans at Wrigley praised him for it.

36. We have yet to see the best this lineup has to offer

The Cubs have the 12th best team average in the majors, which all things considered is fairly underachieving. When everything is clicking, this team can put up 8+ runs every game. They did it last season against St. Louis and can do it again this year.

35. Home field advantage is key, and the Cubs will likely have it through the NLCS

No friendlier place to play than the Friendly Confines.

34. Jon Lester has regained his Cy-Young candidate form

The man that the organization paid $155 million for has come through on his contract this year, compiling an impressive 2.40 ERA with a team-leading 17 wins. The Southpaw will be an essential part of the Cubs' World Series run this October.

33. The team embodies the 'play hard, party hard' mentality

Hustle in between the lines, party hard after wins. It seems to be working alright so far and the team will carry this mentality into the postseason.

32. The Rizzo Family Foundation is great off the field, and brings better karma to the team

Rizzo was recently nominated for the Clemente Award. which recognizes excellent players who contribute to their community through service and philanthropy, due to his work with his cancer foundation (Rizzo battled Hodgkins' Lymphoma at age 18). His foundation is doing great work fundraising for cancer research; hopefully the team receives good karma on the field for his work off of it!

31. Lineup flexibility is the Cubs strength

Joe Maddon has compiled dozens of lineups over the season to best adjust to the pitcher on any given day. This will work to the team's advantage when the starters need to be shifted according to the game by game circumstances.

30. Bryant is an underrated fielder

Sure, he's known for his power, but KB makes plenty of plays in the field as well. He's an above-average defender at third base.

29. They're gonna do it for Ernie

Cubbie legend Ernie Banks passed away last year and the organization spent 2015 honoring Mr. Cub. Now it's time that they complete the ode by winning a championship for the beloved legend.

28. Cy-le Hendricks could be the hottest pitcher in baseball

Hendricks came out of nowhere this year and will win the MLB ERA title by a fair margin this season (currently 2.06). He's a likely frontrunner for the Cy Young Award and will be imperative in a deep playoff run.

The Professor will see you now.

27. Addison Russell is a pure ninja with his glove

Addy got them good hands.

26. Nobody believes more than the management

Epstein and Hoyer believe this is the year. Can't you tell how much fun Theo is having in the bleachers?

25. The team has its celebrity fans

Bill Murray? Jack White? Eddie Vedder? They have their spokespeople in Hollywood.

24. What's not to love about Dexter Fowler?

The hot-hitting, fast fielding, speedy leadoff man returned to the Cubs this season on a one-year deal, and he's made the most of his time here. Dex is an integral part of the batting order and can do anything from steal to homer at the top of the order.

23. #FlyTheW is the best hashtag in baseball

Started last year, will continue to trend this fall.

22. J-Hey has a glove like none other

What can we say, the man makes plays.

21. This team has steel nerves

We've seen our fair share of walk-off wins this season as well as clutch saves from Rondon and Chapman. God knows there are going to be high-pressure situations to come.

20. Matt Szczur is an excellent bat off the bench

Maybe he's the last guy on the 25-man roster, but Szczur is still a great pinch hitter. He's batting .262 on the season which is a new career-high.

19. Maddon will have the team loose and ready to play

Nobody does a better job in baseball at loosening up his players than Joe, and he'll have even the young guys feeling like seasoned veterans. There's a certain beauty in just having fun.

18. Zobrist has had a career-resurgent season

Not a bad offseason signing! Zo has 121 hits and is batting .265 in 2016. Hopefully he'll bring the mojo from last season when he won the Series with the Royals [winky face].

17. Kris Bryant is Chicago's new Chosen One

KB. The Khosen One. K-Boom. Whatever you call him, Kris Bryant is an absolute superstar and is on the precipice of Rookie of the Year/MVP consecutive seasons. Yeah, that's not too bad.

16. The MLB wants the Cubs to win

The MLB ratings may be down, but a Cubs run would bring people to their televisions in droves. Also, don't call baseball a dying sport.

15. The AL has home-field advantage in the World Series, but the Cubs are built for the DH

Play Baez at 3rd, Bryant in left and Contreras at the DH? LaStella is always an option as well.

14. The pitching staff maintains the lowest opponent batting average in the MLB

Another boring pitching stat.

13. This is the last great American sports saga

The Red Sox won a World Series. LeBron won in Cleveland with the Cavs. It's time the Cubs did their part.

12. Kyle Schwarber is there for spirit

He may not be active, but he did star in this sweet playoff ad that can be seen here.

11. The disco ball is waiting for use...

There's one in the clubhouse for celebratory occasions...

10. The fan support is going to be unreal

Just wait until the real fans make their way out of the woodwork – or ivy.

9. Javy Baez hits DINGERS

Javy hit a huge bomb in Game 4 of the NLDS last year and can do it anytime he steps to the plate. He's got as much power as anyone on the team.

8. Chris Coghlan could be a weird X-factor

He came back after having been traded to the A's at the start of the season, and honestly has played pretty well. Not only is he a quality bat, his defensive skills are high-caliber enough to warrant a late game substitution.

7. FiveThirtyEight gives the Cubs a 22% chance to win it all

That's the highest in the MLB and Nate Silver (the site's founder) is rarely wrong with these number things.

6. Carl Edwards Jr. has emerged as a fireballer out of the pen

The guy weighs no more than 170 lbs but throws like a madman. He's a great one-inning guy and will show his value in October.

5. Wrigley is going to be ROCKING this postseason

With the W towels sure to make an appearance, the atmosphere is going to be rocking and rowdy . It might be louder than the majority of Bears games this season (insert sad face).

4. Arrieta-Lester-Hendricks are your three starters for the NLDS

Insert fire emoji.

3. Grandpa Rossey needs to finish off his year-long retirement party with one final title

The word on the street is that jewelry has a high resale value among the elderly population. Grandpa Ross could use that extra ring!

2. Bryzzo is the best bromance in baseball

No, you're swooning.

1. This is THE YEAR!!!

NO MORE NEXT YEAR