A Winter Without Snow

A Winter Without Snow

I started this at the beginning of ninth grade and forgot about it until now. However, the topic is still relevant to me. I decided to add a new spin on the narrative because while life is cyclic in nature, sometimes cycles change and you are forced to change with them.

5
A Winter Without Snow
Flickr

At the end of autumn, I am always feeling weak. Something inside me changes where productivity is nonexistent. Tired and lacking energy in the long, barren weeks, I fall into a pattern of boredom – finally restored with the appearance of winter, when it snows. Anything and everything cold pains me; however, a blanket of snow is the warmest feeling on the inside. After the snow leaves and is replaced by a coating of ice on the sidewalk, I embark on an upward spiral until Spring. Spring and Summer do not just mean flowers and rain – instead, happiness and relaxation. All of my cares seem to drift away and the warmth of the sun shines through.

This is my life or at least it was my life. I would make snow angels and build snowmen. Go sledding down my town's bunny-hill off the parkway and cozy up to some hot chocolate in all of my snow gear. My winters have not looked like this in a long time. This may be my first winter spent in t-shirts and shorts, yet I outgrew all of the winter festivities a long time ago – getting stuck in the common winter lull that every high schooler experiences. I got caught in the motion of the cycle – now, every day, month and season fade into one another. I am the dealer in my game of life and continue to shuffle my cards without realizing their potential. This may be my first winter without snow, but I have not enjoyed the seasons the same as I once did – maybe this is good or maybe this is bad.

Seasons change. My seasons are constantly changing with leaves replacing those that have fallen, changing color day in and day out. Cycles change and you have the option of waiting for the snow to appear, or changing with life.

My life was a cycle. Changing yet always going back to the same emotions and attitudes, regardless of a changing perspective. Now I know cycles occur, changing with the seasons; however, I am more than just these yearly cycles that change with the seasons. Every year is full of ups and downs – challenges that are meant to shape me, changing my perspective in life. I am not the person I was a year ago, a month ago or even a day ago. Who I am will change with what I do, who I know and how I react to adversity. Despite what season it is, my behavior is not cyclic – it builds upon my experiences.

Similar to life, each moment of the year has its beauty. While it may take time and understanding to realize, beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder. So many people look at winter as a sad time, but I choose to overlook the piercing cold to see the blanket of snow instead. Seasons are simply measures of time. Stages that you go through during the year. How much opportunity and moments you embrace with wide eyes and open arms are up to you. People will change with seasons. People will rise and fall with seasons. People will grow and continue growing as winter slowly moves through spring and summer then into autumn – building upon the past but remaining focused on the present moment.

This is my first winter without snow. The only blankets of snow I see are in pictures. The only ice I see is in sweet tea, not on the side of the street. My winter is different than it used to be, but sometimes a winter without snow is all you need to understand that seasons can mean as much or as little as you want them to.