Winter Isn't The Only Season That Brings Seasonal Depression

I swear the months are just flying by and soon summer will be here bombarding us with unbearable heat, barbecues and pool parties. June 21st is going to be the official first day of summer, so mark your calendars folks. I'm admittedly a homebody, which is a nicer way of saying I'm a shut-in. So summer has never been a fun time for me. It's too hot outside, everybody's out making a mess, and the worst part is that all the bugs come out to play. While I've never liked summer, others see summer and even spring as part of a yearly cycle of anxiety and even depression.

I'm surprised that spring and summer are a part of SAD or seasonal associate disorder or seasonal depression as others call it. Most people with SAD feel the symptoms in the fall and continue into the winter months; sapping your energy and making you feel moody. I myself deal with this specifically around winter. There are others who feel a lack of energy or even depression during spring and summer.

The symptoms actually differ between the two sets of seasons. Those who have SAD during the colder months or winter depression usually oversleep. People who deal with summer depression can't find sleep at all and deal with insomnia. Winter depression changes a person's appetite, making them crave all kinds of food. Others have no appetite during summer depression. So it's not a coincidence that people who have winter depression usually gain weight while those who have summer depression lose weight.

As someone who deals with a seasonal associate disorder, I know that it is a serious form of depression. It should be treated as such. SAD is a part of a yearly cycle that can feel like there's no end to. Mainly because people just brush it off that yearly feeling as simply a case of the "winter blues" or a seasonal funk that you have to tough out on your own. But you don't have to and you shouldn't brush it off.

There are many treatments to help you break this cycle. The first and probably the best option is to talk about it. I know that sounds so simple, but talking to a doctor or therapist is the first big step. They can help you create a game plan to tackle this head on or they might even prescribe you medication. They'll teach you how to manage stress and help you sleep better two extremely important problems.

Another option is to become more active and start exercising. Exercising gets you out of your own head and helps you build more self-confidence. Lifting weights and cardio can be a big help. Tai chi and yoga can help you relieve stress and free up your mind. These activities can keep those who deal with winter depression busy and help those with summer depression get their ideal "summer body".

One other option is to just go somewhere. That's right just pack your bags and leave! Just walk out the door and never look back! I'm kidding of course, but taking a vacation is always a good idea. Take winter vacations in sunny, warm locations if you have winter SAD or to cooler locations if you have summer SAD.

Depression isn't something to be ignored and even if some people along feel it during a certain amount of time doesn't make it any less serious. SAD is a cycle that can lead to other problems in one's life and can affect more than just someone's mental being.