I'm Thankful For My Neighbors Who Are Basically My Family
Thanksgiving

From high school to college and everything between.

458
Lorena Best

This Thanksgiving, I am not only thankful for my family, but also my childhood neighbors that have become an extra set of grandparents. You've seen me grow up since my family moved to Charlottesville around five years ago, and have been great role models. But the most unexpected part is that you have become a part of my family. Here are some of the few things I am thankful for:

1. Driveway Conversations

I remember the times where we would stand out in the driveway during the summertime for 30 minutes and sometimes close to an hour. These were so much fun talking about the amazing things that were happening in all of our lives or catching up in conversation.

2. Tea And Cookies

In the Summertime it would be tea and in the wintertime, it would be cookies. Whenever I asked to come over, I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it and still do. The tea and cookies led to conversation hours on end. At times we would watch Christmas movies and enjoy the summer sunshine.

3. We Celebrate The Holidays Together

Lorena Best

Year after year, we always find time to celebrate Christmas at each other's houses. We would watch silly Hallmark movies on the couch covered by a blanket. I would also be fascinated by the great decorations that made your house look like a Potterybarn catalog and your very decorated Christmas tree.

4. You Took My Senior Pictures

You told me you were going to take my senior pictures, which of course led me to say yes. They're the most amazing pictures I ever could have dreamed of and am still in love with them. I guess that's because you've ONLY photographed eight U.S. Presidents.

5. Sometimes You Treat Me Like A Model

Jim Carpenter

Whenever you want a location to shoot photos, at times you ask me to be in them just for the fun of it. Modeling in your photos is so much fun, especially when it goes on Facebook. I will admit learning how to hold good posture and how to pose for a photo has come in handy.

6. You Came To My High School Graduation

I never would have dreamed that you would come to my high school graduation. I'm still in disbelief that you would openly volunteer to sit through 500 of my class peers just to see me walk across the stage to get my diploma cover. This was the first time I recognized you were a part of my family.

7. You Have Always Supported Me

Besides from my parents, you know a lot more about me than my extended family. You have continued to support me regardless of the situation, are willing to listen, and are so kind-hearted beyond what I can imagine. Thank you for loving me for who I am.

I'm truly thankful for all the laughter, tears, and great times that I have spent with you over the years. Even though things now look different, thank you for being in my life and having a large impact on my childhood and growing up. Because of you, our neighborhood of three houses will always be special.