The Best Things About Having A Close Family

“Other things may change us, but we start and end with the family.”

731
La Trobe University

In your life, you will meet countless people, some will change you for the better, others will leave scars, but at the end of the day, family is family, and they are always there. Every important milestone in my life has been witnessed by family; from the day I was born to my upcoming college graduation, I have had my family there.

Some people do not have close relationships with their families, and I feel sad for them. You should always be able to count on family for the tragedies of life, but what's the point, if you don't see each other for happy occasions as well. These are my favorite parts about having a close family.

1. Most of my best memories involve them.

I didn't always get along with my brother and cousins, but we had some memorable times. From vacation and Kennywood, to barbecues and birthday parties, most of the events of my childhood were spent surrounded by family.

2. I always had someone to play with growing up.

My brother and I are a little over two years apart, and we have four cousins just in between us. Then there's five younger than me and nine older than him, so we were never lacking on playmates.

3. I always had someone cheering for me.

I'm a mess sometimes, but I know someone's always got my back.

4. They saw me in my awkward years, but like me anyway.

I went through some really awkward times, both in appearance and behavior, and they saw all of it. But, hey, they seem to still like me, so that's good.

5. Family parties are the best parties.

I enjoy going out with my friends, but families get togethers are my favorite. I love sitting around a table with my aunts, uncles and cousins, reminiscing and getting a little tipsy. Watching Grandma's face get flushed is a nice bonus.

6. No vacations will be as fun as the ones from my childhood.

My parents have taken my brother and I to the beach recently, but no trips will ever be as fun as the ones when I was younger with my dad's family. From the walkie-talkie conversations in the car (it was the pre-cell phone age), water balloon fights, and drift-woobing (don't ask), those vacations will always be my favorite.

7. They tease like no one else.

My family loves to tease each other. Sometimes it gets a little brutal, but it all comes from a place of love.

8. You're stuck together forever.

Not in a bad way, of course, but if I lost all of my friends right now, I'd still have my family, and that's not such a bad thing to have when they are as fun as mine.