The True Meaning Of Family

The True Meaning Of Family

"Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten." - Lilo & Stitch

What is family? Sure it can be easily defined by Merriam-Webster. A mere search on Bing can give us a definition or two, but it is more than "parents and children," more than "common ancestors."

Agreeably, family is important. It is a title given to those we hold dearly to our hearts. We extend it to those who come into our lives and, no matter what, through thick or thin, seem to stay. DNA is not always shared, but the feeling is undeniably there. Family is loved ones and perhaps a concept that is dealt with the utmost care.

It has been awhile since I've seen this picture and of course the first thing I did when I saw it was to repost it, tagging both my mom and dad. To me, it was something worth sharing—something I wanted them to see, wanted them to know.

But there is plenty of those on the walls and feeds of social media dedicated to different type of family members. Sayings or thoughts that we have the need to share for others to see and unconsciously realize that those certain words resonated within us. Those words make us think of certain people.

Family is individuals who have special meaning. They are our foundation of support, personal cheer squad, teachers, counselors, and anything else we might need, even if we have to hear the hard truth. They comfort us and even put us in our place.

Family can be “family” in every sense of the word. Moms and dads who are in charge of checking under their child’s bed to ensure that there is not a monster. Moms that kiss our boos-boos and dads that teach us how to ride a bike.

Family can be those we confide in and tell our secrets to. The best friends that absolutely know everything there is to know about us and yet are constantly learning something new. The ones that we listen to and the ones that listen to us.

Family can be the coach or mentor in your corner who has pushed you to do your best since day one and has never gave into doubt nor ever gave up on you.

They are those special people we choose to help make the pressure of the many things on our shoulders lesson. There’s laughter and tears; there’s history and memories.

Family is love, even if love can be a weird thing. Family is acceptance. Sure there are disagreements and arguments, and those holidays that have mashed potatoes thrown, but it doesn’t go away. Family doesn’t go away, no matter how annoying at times.

They are there even if we don’t want them to be. They always have advice even if it is something we don’t want to hear or admit that is right.

They are there with a helping hand. They are there to help us vent. There to calm us down and to talk some sense.

They make us think, and ultimately in the end make us realize. At times they can be right and at times they can be wrong. Just like at times we can be right and at times we can be wrong.

Yes, it is true. Family is always there, no matter their arrival date. If it was since birth or just recently. They are surrounded by a cloud of love, comfort, support, and many more things.

A family is a group of people who want as well as choose to be together embraced by a bond so powerful and strong that not even the slightest test of trials or troubles can breach.

I think Lilo got it right when she said,

"Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten."

Let us not forget the true meaning of family.