11 Reasons Why Neighbors Are The Best Friends To Have

They are always there, literally.

2817
Emily Rosenfeld

Growing up in a neighborhood with seven of my close friends was one of the best parts of my childhood. Even if you just have one friend who lives nearby, you probably know how amazing it is to have them so close to you.

Here are 11 reasons why neighbors are the best friends to have:

1. You're only a short walk away

Especially during the days of not having a license, this was key. Not having to drive or find a ride makes hanging out with your friends so much easier.

2. You can hangout WAY past curfew

When you are only right down the street, parents usually don't care as much if you are out late. They don't have to worry about you driving late at night or having to pick you up. When you get tired, all you have to do is take a short walk back home.

3. Run-ins are a daily occurrence

Whether you are walking your dog, driving by, or just hanging outside of your house, it's always so fun to see your friends around. Sometimes it's just a neighborly wave, other times it's a twenty-minute conversation. Either way, it makes you feel like you always know what's going on in each other's lives.

4. You can't lie to each other

You can see each other's houses from your own windows, so there is no option but to be honest about if you are home or if you are hanging out with other people. You always know if each other's cars are in the driveway or if someone else's is there.

5. You are basically a part of each other's families

Not only are you guys neighbors, but your families are as well (duh). So, most likely your parents are friends, you've been hanging out since you were little, and their house feels like a second home to you. You know each other's family drama and are friends with each other's siblings.

6. CARPOOLING

Seriously, enough said. Having friends to carpool with is actually the best thing in the world. It makes driving to parties/school/activities an event in itself and it's a good way to catch up and hear about each other's lives.

7. Snow days are the best

When school is closed, the roads are blocked, and you have the whole day free, having neighbors that you can spend the day with is the best.

8. You can show up unannounced

You don't really need an invite when you're neighbors. You can pretty much tell when they are home, and it's not awkward with their parents, so you just show up when you want to hang out. If they're busy, you just walk home no problem.

9. Neighborhood parties are actually fun

Most people would consider neighborhood parties to be an obligation. However, when your neighbors are your friends, they are something you look forward to for weeks. Tons of food plus your friends... what could be better?

10. You get to make fun of your other neighbors together

It's almost like you have a bunch of inside jokes with each other that only you guys will ever understand. You get to share the neighborhood gossip and laugh at the weird guy who lives down the street.

11. You're like family

When you live so close by, it makes your friendship different than others. Being neighbors brings you guys together and gives you a connection that is hard to find anywhere else. It makes you feel like you are a part of each other's lives no matter what. Through it all, you're like family.