Family Is So Much More Than A Bloodline Or Last Name

A thank you letter to my non-biological family.

815
Madison Trout

I know the old saying, but sometimes blood is definitely not thicker than water. I've learned that this old saying is not always true. Family isn't just a person that shares blood or a last name. Family is people that come into your life and stay. Family is people that take time out of their days to be there for you when you need them. Family is people that care for you and love you unconditionally. I am so blessed and grateful that you walked into my life.

There are not enough thank yous that could be said to make up for everything you've done for me. After this time of having you in my life I never want to know what it's like to not have you. You welcomed me with open arms the first day we met. And now you're my greatest support system. You've picked me up and made me walk when I thought it was impossible to stand. You've seen me at some of my worst times and stuck by my side and you've walked beside me at my best times. You may not have been with me since the beginning, but I know you'll be there until the end.

What continues to amaze me every day is that you choose to accept me for who I am, to love me unconditionally. You aren't obligated, but you do anyway, and that means more to me than you will ever know. Thank you for protecting me, for scolding me when needed, for teasing me daily, for giving me advice even if I don't ask for it. Thank you for treating me as your own, without obligation. Thank you for being there when you don't necessarily have to be. Thank you for being in my life.

Just as you have proven time and time again the love you have for me, I hope that I equally show you the same amount of love. I am forever thankful for the amount of love and care that you have shown for me. I pray for the day that I can truly show you the eternal gratefulness I have for you. You've made my life so much better and brighter. I cry a little less, laugh a little more, and love a lot more because of you all. You have been God's gift to me. He knew I would need you to get through the bumps in the road of life. Whether it's family holidays or just nights spent watching TV at your house, thank you for the many memories.

I am blessed to have you with me on this journey called life and I am thankful that you let me be a part of yours. Thank you for everything you've done for me since you've entered my life. Thank you for showing me what it's like to feel important, special, loved, and cherished. Thank you for welcoming me into your life and into your family's life without skipping a beat.

I have gained more family than I ever imagined possible. Thank you for proving to me that blood is not always thicker than water.