How To Answer Those Awkward Thanksgiving Dinner Questions

7 Things You'll Get Asked At Thanksgiving And How To Answer Like A Pro

We all know it's coming: the questions our family members ask that we dread hearing.

74

In my family, the questions start from the moment I walk in the door for break till I leave the following week, so I'm pretty experienced in avoiding/dodging/creatively answering whatever they decide to throw at me. Here are some of my family's, and maybe your family's, favorite questions to ask their blossoming college student.

1. "So, do you have a boyfriend/girlfriend?"

While dating is an important part of growing up, maybe this Thanksgiving you're riding solo, and there's nothing wrong with that! To counteract this one, say something along the lines of, "Not right now, I'm really trying to focus on school and myself right now so that I can devote my time to someone later on." This may lead to other questions, but it's a good way to shift the topic back to yourself.

2. "Do you know what you want to do when you graduate?"

Let's be honest, really no one knows what they're going to do when they graduate until they start looking for jobs and get hired. So unless you already have been hired — which if you have, congrats — you probably aren't sure yet what you're going to be doing.

Say, "I've applied a couple places and I'm in the process of finding a job, but I haven't tied anything down yet." That way they know you're actively looking, but you won't get bombarded with questions about jobs and school.

3. "Did you enjoy your classes this semester?"

Instead of raging about the classes you didn't like or talking about school in a negative way, think about this: your parents are probably paying a good amount of money for you to go there, and they don't want you to be unhappy. Unless you genuinely had a HORRIBLE semester, think about rephrasing it like this, "Most of my classes I enjoyed, there were one or two that weren't the best, but for the most part I learned a lot."

4. "What do you do on the weekends? Do you go out a lot?"

This is a trap... do NOT honestly answer this question. I always answer this with, "A lot of weekends I hang out with my friends or catch up on my sleep. I go out probably a couple times a month but not every weekend." Even if you go out EVERY DAY, do NOT tell your family this!

5. "Did you vote in the election?"

THIS IS ALSO A TRAP! DO NOT BRING UP POLITICS! Someone will get offended, it will start a fight, or it'll be a silent battle... just don't do it. For the love of God, don't do it. Answer this one with, "Yep, I [went to the polling place or sent in an absentee ballot, whatever you did] already! Got it covered!" Short, sweet and to the point. Leave it there. Let it be.

6. "Are you still going to the gym all the time?"

Whether you go every day or once a week, your parents and family care about your health. Say something along the lines of, "I go whenever I get time! It depends on the week, but I try to go as much as I can." That way if "as much as you can" is once a day or once a week, it's not a lie.

7. "What do you want for Christmas?"

This is always a hard one... I need money, books, clothes, money... I always answer this one with, "Oh, I don't need a lot, honestly just school stuff would be nice." I can pretty much classify anything as "school stuff," so this gets you out of explaining later why you need another pair of Adidas tennis shoes or a new phone.

What else does your family ask you when you go home? Comment below!