Why Friends From Sleep Away Camp Are The Best
relationships

Sleep-Away Camp Is Over But The Friends I Made There Are A Dream Come True

Thank you, sleep-away camp, for the best memories.

462
Erica Schimel

Six years of spending seven weeks in another place, also known as your second home, can introduce you to your best friends. Now, these aren't the best friends you see every day or sometimes even hear from every day.

These are the kind of best friends that even after not seeing each other after one year, it feels like nothing has changed.

I keep thinking it was just yesterday when I met my amazing friends, who at first I cried because I was put into their bunk. Everything really does happen for a reason. You never forget your first "area buddy" or the first time you can't see the floor because all your clothes are piled from floor to ceiling.

Even though I don't say it every day or act like it, I really do love you girls. I love all the memories like "G6 SCATTER!" Going away for camp taught me at a young age to become independent.

You can't talk to your family every day, but that's why these people become your second family, create long-lasting bonds.

I think sneaking out of our bunks was one of the best times we had. I'll never forget we were all sleeping and all of a sudden a swarm of boys came running into our bunk with night vision goggles, while we all had no makeup on. How about that time I was so clueless as to the whole camp throwing a surprise sweet sixteen for me.

I am not going to lie, but when I first met all of you, I said to myself, "those are the people I don't want to be friends with." Now, look at us. It's really true what they say.

"If you didn't hate each other when you first met, you're not really best friends."

Thank you for always being there, especially during my horrendous bangs phase. I can't believe how much we all have grown, yet still so close like we still go to camp. I love you all, especially Clyde.