Your Ultimate Netflix Binge List For June 2017

The ultimate list to start you on a binge you'll come out of weeks later wondering when you last went to the gym.

52
The Daily Dot

While most of the world considers summer to be the time to make an ~outdoorsy~ bucket list of hikes and ice cream shops to try, millennials know this school break to be FILLED with Netflix binges. This doesn't mean that we don't go outside and do stuff, but when you have nothing to do, nothing you want to do, or would rather procrastinate doing whatever you're supposed to do, Netflix is a viable alternative. Given what's on Netflix now, the following list provides recommendations for what's hot and new and hidden on Netflix for the month of June.

The Keepers

This has been on my list since it first was added to Netflix. From my friends that have started watching it, it is intense and is not for the faint of heart. It deserves its TV-MA rating, so don't go watching it with younger children wandering the house unless you have headphones in.

Amy Schumer: The Leather Pants Special

This is not very new to Netflix but it is a Netflix Original that has me and my girlfriends crying and almost peeing ourselves every few minutes. The crude humor of Amy Schumer is thoroughly depicted in this 57 minute long comedy show. Schumer talks about her personal life... in gory details (her poor humiliated boyfriend, or should I say lucky cause Amy is #GFgoals?). It is rated TV-MA for good reason. But for any college girl looking for a particularly relateable laugh, it is a must watch.

Shameless

Recommended to me by a friend, she says it is the most oddly addicting show. It is about a family where the father is an alcoholic and the kids are basically nutcases in their own ways. It's 6 seasons long and the family dysfunction earns this series a 92% on Rotten Tomatoes (if that means anything to you). The extreme family situations set in Chicago keep this newer series a hit for most millennials.

Bates Motel

This psychological horror, mystery, and drama spanning over 5 seasons focuses on Norman Bates and his mother Norma. After the death of Norman's father in Arizona, Norma, his mom, purchases a motel in Oregon to allow herself and her son to start their lives over. Norman's mental illness is a struggle for both himself and his mother as she tries to protect her son. The first five seasons are on Netflix, so if you are looking for a psychological thriller that will take longer than a week to binge through, this is definitely a show to try.

Master of None

Sadly, this show has only 2 seasons out right now. The Netflix Original series is all about Dev, a 30-year-old Indian man who is trying to navigate living in New York and also learning how to "adult." This refreshing, encouraging and fun series is easy to blow through with short episodes and the modern humor mixed with real current issues, like the struggles millennials and minorities face every day. Another 11/10 show to watch if you want comedy.

Strictly Sexual

This movie seemed almost as slightly embarrassing to watch as the Fifty Shades movies, but it hits the spot for a girls night. The movie is almost a satire on modern hook-up culture and how dating and sex are not exclusive anymore. The concept of strings-free sex is the central struggle for the four main characters. Two women, an obnoxiously outgoing and sexually exploring friend and her quieter, conservative, shy, and meek-seeming counterpart attempt to hire hookers for the night at a hotel bar. Of course, with sex comes emotions, trust, relationships, fights, ex issues, work drama, etc.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

The newest Pirates of the Caribbean movie was recently released into theaters and if you haven't kept up with this movie series, you NEED to start now. Luckily, the first one and it's on Netflix and the others are available on Netflix DVD.

Parks and Recreation

As I mentioned it earlier, this is a MUST see if you like comedy and workplace comedies such as The Office. The cast is brilliant and a fair bit of them were at the most recent Peabody Awards this week. Go good people who are funny!

The Office

It's a classic. If you haven't seen it, you are missing out on the best show ever. No exaggeration, that show was my childhood. You get so wrapped up in the personal lives of the character, which is why I have seen the entire series at least 7 times. Must see even if you've already seen it, no shame in rewatching it (7 times).

Black Mirror

If you have ever questioned how society got to where it is today with odd trends like feeling popular because you got 300 insta likes (Hey, good for you) but when did that start to matter? This show critiques and exaggerates humanity and the downward trend we have developed. It's repulsive, but sadly, very true and leaves you feeling ready to jump off the grid...after you tweet that you saw it and liked it.

The Crown

Have you ever wondered about the British monarchy? Who they really are? For the undiscovered history geek in you, this is a captivating series that was just released in the fall of 2016. You will feel like you are living with the royal family as all of their dark secrets, struggles, and attempts to appear in control and happy as they hold the nation together are revealed. Dramatic? Yes. But who doesn't want to see how a young woman snuffed all the arrogant men leading the western world around her? Also, who knew Winston Churchill was such a sexist dick to QE!?

Bill Nye Saves the World

For any millennial, Bill Nye is science. Bill Nye the Science Guy (*chanting* Bill, Bill, Bill, Bill, Bill, Bill). For him to come out of wherever he hid for the end of our childhood and make a new show on our favorite streaming platform is a dream come true. Our favorite childhood scientist talks to guests who make up modern pop culture for us about scientific topics such as climate change, artificial intelligence, sex, perception, and overpopulation. While he recently has made a splash in the political world for his scientific views and arguments, Bill Nye will forever be loved by millennials despite his liberal political beliefs.

Total Frat Movie

For any college kid, revisiting this movie will make you laugh as you jab your friend in the side reminding them of the party last weekend where they did half of what was going on in the movie. This movie opened our eyes to college Greek life and parties. Now it's just a laugh about our lives. Weird trip (no drugs involved) down memory lane and last weekend

These movies should get you started on some quality Netflix binge-worthy material. This list will get you rolling with a solid mixture of comedies, dramas, newer shows, early-mid 2000s films, and everything in between. Hopefully, you find something in this bucket list of Netflix gold that hits the spot. And hey, if you ever think you're the only person who could spend their entire summer binge-watching Netflix... Just know, you're not alone my friends.