An Open Letter To The Man I’m Gonna Marry One Day
relationships

You be Jack and I’ll be Rebecca, yeah?

2291

To the man I very much look forward to calling my husband (one day),

I will be honest here and say that I thought I had already met you, but I sure was wrong. The thing is that I actually don't know who you will be, what you will look like, whether you're a country boy or a city slicker, if you're older or younger, a cat or dog person, grew up Disney or Nickelodeon, and the list could go on. But regardless, what I have to say to you is what's important here-

I want to start by saying that you should probably get a psych evaluation if you've made it this far seeing as the majority of the guys I have dated would rather marry the next girl…. that was meant to be funny, but I am actually slightly serious.

Thank you for getting to this point. The point where you would literally rather spend the rest of your life loving me, helping me, inspiring me, and pushing me to be the best person I can be in all levels of a person/professional/mom/friend/wife than chillin' with your bros doing whatever it is y'all do as single males.

You have stood by me, motivated me, held my hand, looked at me like no other has before, been embarrassed by me... and loved me to no end. I wish I could say that I don't deserve you, but that would be a lie because I very much do deserve you. Maybe not when I thought I did, but it was all in God's plan for me to find you. For me to find the guy who I don't have to fight for his attention and affection. Who loves me unconditionally even if you don't understand a single thing that's going on with me. Being young and having these ideas in my head about what it would be like to be a wife and imagining the guy next to me, I couldn't really see you until I decided that I was important and what I wanted for myself was important. It took a lot of heartaches to get to that, unfortunately. But it all made me realize that I wanted more for myself and my life. So to that, I commend you for standing up to my standards... I know they were kind of high.

I am sorry though, for all the chaos and stress you have endured. I know I am stressful at times and I am not always relatable, I don't make things easy all of the time, and I really like to be on time to things (which really means getting there early- especially to movies). I overthink A LOT which makes you stressed out and I am just so sorry. But, it could all be worse.

I am extremely thankful for you in so many ways. For starters, I haven't really been myself around any guy I have dated before, so the fact that you WANNA be my husband means that you broke through some walls; kudos to you on that one! You have, in more ways than one, brought so much joy to my life. You brought me happiness within you and strengthened my faith alongside you. You have gotten through to me and understood me when no one else wanted to and only told me I was too "complicated" to figure out.

I love you. I love the way you look at me, the way you treat me, the way you see the little things, the way you love God, and the way you are so perfectly imperfect. I love that you are never boastful, but that you humble yourself and take pride in all that you do. I love that you see the good in people and in the world and want to help in all ways that you can. I love that you finally chose me because I have been choosing you for a long time! I love hard, I give it all that I have, I accept less than I should, and I am not without fault by any means. I love to be near you, I love the cute seasonal cliche things there is to do, I love cooking with you, and I especially love growing closer to God with you by my side. There is an entire world ahead of us, so let us never let it pass us by and never let us fall short of the moments it brings us.