A Letter To The Toxic People No Longer In My Life

Thanks, both sarcastically and realistically.

7

Dear You,

We used to be so close, whether the 'You' reading this is an ex, a used-to-be friend, or a family member.

I remember we had so many fun days, where we went out and about, told each other personal things, and trusted each other. You proved over time that you could not be trusted, and I either had to remove myself, or realize that you removing yourself was beneficial and not chase after you like I was so used to doing.

When it comes to a lover, there are things that should and shouldn't be done. I was doing all the green light things, and you the red light ones. I was giving every ounce of love materialistically, physically, or emotionally that I could provide, and you just kept on taking. You were never a giver, because you knew I was vulnerable. You would keep taking, and once I finally saw an issue with it, I was "wrong" because you didn't see it. No, the wrong thing was you getting everything you wanted and more, and just giving me some. You lied to me, manipulated me, and made all of my good actions for nothing. The amounts you've done to me are indescribable and unthinkable.

Because of you, I no longer know if the love I'm giving is good enough, even if it is.

Now...Friendships come and go, right? People grow out of people, and sometimes just simply get too busy and lose touch from time to time. However, friendships aren't expecting someone to be your 'Yes' man and doing or saying whatever you want the other person to. I became that for you. You valued me as a friend for years, and then decided that you only wanted me as a friend when it was convenient enough for you. If I had a different opinion or didn't want to bash on the same person as you, I was suddenly the problem, even though initially the problem didn't even have me in the equation.

You would constantly tell me what I was doing wrong, scold me for my personal life choices, even if I didn't make the wrong one, but you thought it was in your eyes. When I told you a personal story about an abusive relationship I had been in, instead of making sure I was okay, you scream-texted me for an entire conversation telling me I'm stupid and should have known better than to stay with the person. You would drop me for months and come back like it was nothing, and I would accept you because I wanted to be the best friend that I could.

Since you have your own life issues, in your eyes, no one else can have any at all because they're 'incomparable' to yours, and that's NOT how friendship works.

Family members that are toxic are probably some of the hardest people to let go of. 'They're blood so they don't mean it, right?' Wrong. A person is still a regular person no matter your relationship to them, and the judgment, toxic treatment, or harassment doesn't just disappear when they have the label of 'family member'. You specifically made me feel like I wasn't part of the family, and judged me every time I was around. I always heard complaints about my other side of the family, what job I was doing, how school was going, and more. It got so upsetting that I couldn't sleep at night. No one deserves that.

Toxic people, unfortunately, will never stop being toxic. They won't ever see the way they do things as wrong, and will never change. While there are so many negative things I could give them all a sarcastic 'Thank You' for, there are also so many realistic things I can thank them for.

Thank you all for making me stronger. Going through hard times SUCKS; but I come out stronger than ever.

Thank you for playing such a role in my life to get me to the stage of life I'm at now. I love everyone that is in my life, and the position I'm at.

Thank you for teaching me things. Small things, but still things I didn't know before.

Most importantly, thank you for breaking me. Without being broken down, I could never rise to be as strong, humble, and happy as I am now.