Nobody Is Bad For Severing Ties With Toxic People
Life Stages

I’m not a bad person for cutting ties with toxic people

My happiness comes first and I will not feel bad about that.

286
Anthony Tran

I've had a lot of friends in my life.

Most I've drifted away from, but some I've chosen to remove from my life and I'm not a bad person for making that choice.

The most important life change you can make is putting yourself first. You're not a bad person for doing that. It's important to look out for your own happiness, and sometimes that means cutting ties with people you once considered close.

It's not an easy decision to make, and sometimes it's tough to handle afterward, but in the end, it's for the best.

I've made that tough decision before.

It sucks.

A lot.

It's easy to feel like you're giving up on somebody. Sometimes, it makes you feel like you're a bad person, but you're not. You're not a bad person for letting go of toxic people.

I know how it feels. I spent such a long time beating myself up over the idea of letting someone go from my life. I thought that by doing so, others would think that I was being a bad friend, or that I was the toxic one.

At some point, I had to stop caring about what other people thought of me, or what I thought other people thought of me.

At some point, I had to suck it up and say, "I made this choice for myself, why should I be concerned about anyone else?"

The truth is, I didn't make this choice to start any drama, impress others, or because I wanted to choose one person over another. I did this for my own happiness.

I made the choice to remove a toxic person from my life because I was finally able to come to the realization that they were no longer beneficial for my happiness. I should not force myself to stay in unhealthy relationships because it makes other people happy or preserves my relationships or reputation with others.

At the end of the day, I'm going to put myself and my happiness first.

I will not worry about how others see me or what rumors might be going around. I know people who truly care will ask for my own side. They'll make an attempt to understand my side and my decision.

I am not a bad person for letting go of toxic people.

I will not stress over the opinions of others.

I will remember that this was a decision made for myself.

I am not a bad person

Neither are you.