Being An Introvert In An Extrovert's World

How to survive in the communications field as an introvert.

36

When I was in high school, I was fairly extroverted in my behaviors. I was almost always hanging out with someone, even if it wasn't a close friend. Now that I am 24, the only thing that sounds relaxing is sitting at home in bed, while watching Netflix and drinking an ice-cold Coca-Cola.

If I had to choose one reason why I chose to enter the communications field was that I knew it would be challenging for me, but a kind of challenge where I am able to achieve the goals I had set out for myself and the goals that were set out for me.

Here are some survival tips that I have learned throughout my college experience while seeking a Communication's degree.

Always be aware of your facial expressions.

I can honestly say that I am the Queen of RBF. People look at me and think I'm annoyed or mad at them when in reality I'm probably daydreaming about Krispy Kream Donuts.

A good way to start becoming aware of your facial expressions is to practice them in the mirror. Practice smiling in the mirror and make sure you are dramatizing the smile. If you feel awkward doing it, then you're doing it right.

Try to find your niche of people.

Once you begin to take the classes that count towards your actual degree, you're going to see a lot of the same faces. Become familiar with a couple of people and sit by them when you can. This will make it easier for you to feel more confident.

Try to raise your hand at least 3 times every class. 

When your teacher asks the class a question and you can hear crickets, raise your hand to break the silence. For me, this was, and still is, the hardest thing I've done...because what if you get the answer wrong? Chances are if you get the answer wrong, your teacher will just appreciate you for raising your hand.

Of course, you're going to have those days where raising your hand to answer a question will literally ensue a panic attack, but that's okay! Everybody has their off days, just make sure to jump back into your routine once you're feeling it again.

Use group projects as a way to do your networking.

Chances are that you will one day work with the people that are in your groups for projects. When you are meeting with your group for planning meetings, make sure you are building positive relationships with them. You never know who you will come into contact with in the future, so always display your best traits in these groups.

Take time for yourself still. 

If you are an introverted individual, being around people will wear you out eventually. When it does, take the time you need to rejuvenate and relax. Ways that I like to relax after really long days is through bubble baths or, if it's nice weather, just sitting in the sun.