What Will You Do With That Communication Degree?

Inevitably, the question will come up, so why not have a great answer?

707

Everyone has had the experience of showing up to family events, seeing family friends, or meeting up with someone you haven’t seen in a while. The opening questions always seem to be, “How is school going? What are you majoring in?” When you answer with communication, the look on their face is sometimes followed with a smirk because they think communication is a “joke” degree. Or, sometimes, surprise follows with the question of, “What will you do with that communication degree?”

After continuously being asked this question, my answer started to become, “Really, whatever I want. I have a ton of options with a communication degree.” (The look on their face after that answer was even better than the first one.)

Then I would tell them I had a specific concentration that I was in and had a career path, or two or three, that I either wanted to pursue or found significantly interesting.

They still might not take you seriously or believe you, but, more than likely, there's a specific reason you chose communication and the path you are on.

Just like everyone else with their chosen major, you are passionate about communication. You want to be on television, work in television, help with marketing/public relations, work with interpersonal communication, plan events or so much more. The possibilities with a communication degree are endless. You could even jump around careers if you wanted to because, yes, a communication degree allows you to do that.

As a communication major, I am BEGGING fellow communication students to not let anyone make you feel inferior because of the path you chose to take regarding your college degree and your life.

Some are passionate about math, some about teaching, others engineering. All are passions, and everyone should be accepted for who they are and what they are interested in.

Another favorite line of mine is, “I don’t need a communication class” or “I shouldn’t have to take public speaking because the job I want doesn’t need that.”

We live in a world where communication is becoming more important than ever because social media and technology are so prevalent in everyday life and even business strategies.

I can’t speak for all majors, but I have heard the vast majority require communication in team setting and on a personal level.

I have learned more things from my communication classes than just how to talk to people. Learning the best way to approach both good and tough situations has shaped who I am as a person for the better.

They have also expanded my skills beyond anything I could have imagined, and the classes will help me be successful no matter what I “do with my communication degree.”

I love being a communication major, the path I have chosen, and the wonderful things that will come into my life because of it.

Please, communication majors, don’t be ashamed of your passion. Please, other majors, don’t look down upon us for our passion.