#SorryChanel: 4 Things You Can Do with a Communications Major (That Don't Involve a Job)

Sometimes even the Chanel's are wrong...

234
Ppcorn.com

(Spoiler Warning for Scream Queens Season Two: Read at Your Own Risk)

Of course, any and all real Scream Queens fans watched the recent premiere episode of the popular FOX Comedy Thriller this past Tuesday,September 20.

As you totally recall, Chanel Oberlin and the remaining Chanel’s were joyfully released from their wrongful imprisonment. Free again to walk the streets condemning fashion faux-pas and ordering complicated super hot lattes’, they returned to college to finish the degrees which had been previously interrupted by a serial killer.

“We decided to become communications majors because it’s by far the easiest” stated Chanel #5, “but quickly learned that a degree in communications in practically worthless”.

Sorry Chanel, but I disagree.

On more than one occasion, I have received sneers and chuckles when I disclose that I have begun earning a degree in Communications Arts. As a natural public speaker and leader, there was never a question about what I wanted to do. Writing, communication, and management have always been my strong suits- and a degree in Communications was the perfect fit for my skills. However, as I began to study my major, I discovered a range of beneficial skills that you develop as a Communication Arts major which will serve you way beyond the workplace.

Here are four things you can do with a degree in Communications that is useful both in and outside of the workplace that the Chanel's majorly fail at:

1. Mediate

Interpersonal communication is one of the most important skills that you can develop as a communications major. The ability to mediate between one person and another (or various groups) will always be necessary and valued. Education is journalism, film, radio and even public relations creates a platform for communications majors to express ideas on all sides of the spectrum, allowing for a clear flow of ideas and conflict resolution.

2. Empathize

Effective communication requires one to see a multitude of perspectives. Because of this, the communications major is particularly adept at empathizing with a wide array of people. Empathy, the ability to sense other people’s emotions, coupled with the ability to imagine what someone else may be feeling is necessary for the communications major. Majoring in communications teaches the student to view ideas from a multitude of perspectives.

3. Advocate

Likewise, majoring in communications is more than just sitting behind a computer screen or writing basic stories. Communications majors use their mastered platforms to speak for those unspoken for. Whether it be through the broad sphere of online advocacy or a more personal dynamic, leadership and communication skills allow for encouragement and support of others. Using their refined “voice”, the communications major can most effectively advocate for the person that may not have been heard.

4. Create

Most aspects of life require some degree of creativity, however, the communications major is challenged to a higher degree of “thinking outside of the box”. In a world already super saturated with pictures, videos, advertisements, and articles, the communications major has to be constantly working on creating new and interesting content in order to stay relevant. This means of thinking allows them to become creative not only in their work but how they view the world. Training in communications challenges them to see the story in everything. Creativity flows within the communications major, and they express this creativity in a multitude of fashions.

So, Chanel, I know that your degree didn’t necessarily work out for you, but I stick by my decision. Hate to say it but…#SorryNotSorry.