7 Myths About Communication Majors Debunked

Newsflash—journalism isn't dying; the industry is simply changing.

376

Being a com major is all fun and games, right? Wrong. Listen up, folks, because I've got some lies to uncover.

1. Communication isn’t a real major

Communication is everywhere, claiming it isn’t a major is naive.

Advertising and public relations make it possible for businesses to operate and sell their products and services. Journalism and media make it possible for news, information and entertainment to reach mass audiences.

2. Communication students are lazy

There are lazy students in every major. Communication students tend to be thrown under the bus because the majority of the coursework is done at home and behind the scenes. Labs and long lectures tend to be more relevant for STEM majors.

Communication requires creativity and original ideas, which keeps students on their toes. Students might not be required to know all of the bones in the human body, but students will need to know complex AP style and grammar rules, software, and how to communicate with anyone and everyone.

Communication students are also typically in tune with the news and consume more media compared to their peers.

3. Communication students are bad at math

Despite common misconception, math IS still necessary for communication students.

Conducting and reporting on research studies requires statistics. Sales positions require money handling and calculations. Media planning requires budgeting.

4. Journalism is dying

News and the media are far from dying—the industry is simply changing.

Newspapers, radio, television, and the internet have all contributed to the shifts in communication. Traditional mediums are shifting to digital platforms. News has become more immediate than ever through new technology. The next time someone asks why you’re pursuing journalism, you can ask them, "why not?"

6. Communication students can't find jobs

One of the benefits of a communications degree is the flexibility.

Communication degrees can be applied to a variety of fields. There is a need for communication expertise in nearly every business and organization.

7. Communication majors don't make much money

It is a common misconception that communication students make low incomes compared to other degrees.

Some positions will make more money than others, but this is natural in any field. The more experienced professionals will bring home more dough. The highest paid communication professionals generally hold executive and management positions.

At the end of the day, doing what you love is just as important as your paycheck. If you are majoring in communication, follow your dreams and break the stereotype.