How Being Adopted Changed My Life

How Being Adopted Changed My Life

A Thanks to My Parents
294

I’ve had a wonderful life. I was provided all of my necessary needs. I was given so many opportunities that have shaped me into who I am today. I’ve been given the chance to be a musician, an equestrian, and a full-time college student. There’s just one catch: I grew up not knowing who my real parents were.

I was adopted by my parents soon after I was born. I realize that my life could have been entirely different had I not been adopted at birth. There’s so much that I don’t know about who I truly am. In a way, I think that it’s a good thing that I don’t know much, but there’s also that sense of wonder. I’ve always wondered who my birth parents are, why they chose to give me up for adoption, what culture I’m from, and why I am the way that I am. I’ve always wanted to know who I really am. But here’s the thing that gets me every time: I wouldn’t be the way I am today if it weren’t for my adoptive parents.

I was never in an orphanage and I’m truly thankful for that. I’ve been given so many opportunities in my life that I couldn’t even begin to thank them for. They’ve given me a good home, a good education, a good chance at a music-education and most importantly, the most amazing opportunity to ride horses and become a strong-willed and successful equestrian.

They’ve been to so many soccer games and basketball games over the years. They’ve always been at my marching band competitions. They’ve ALWAYS been at EVERY horse show since I was 6 years old. Regardless of how cold or hot it was, how far away it was, or how long it was going to be, they were there for every moment. They’ve driven countless hours to go to shows or vacations. They’ve always had my best interest in mind. If it weren’t for them, I wouldn’t be a double equine major. I wouldn’t have had all of the fantastic opportunities to show so many amazing horses if they hadn’t adopted me. I wouldn’t have half of the friends that I’ve made in the past.

So in a way, I must thank my birth parents for giving me up for adoption. It was the best thing that has happened to me and will, most likely, be the best thing to EVER happen to me. There’s still so much to learn and so much to think about but I know my adoptive parents will always be standing by my side no matter what I decide to do.

They’ve told me that when I’m ready, they’ll help me search for who I really am. Since the time I was brought home from the hospital, they’ve been telling me that I was adopted. I remember my mom telling me around 1 ½-2 years old. Rather than sitting me down in those “honey, sit down. We need to talk,” moments, they’ve been telling me the story because they felt that they shouldn’t hide it from me. They’ve been there for me throughout my whole life and I know they’ll always be by my side, regardless of where or why. I know they will always love and support me and in my book, that’s what true love is.